1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need someone...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Monty93, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm crying as I write this. I don't want to be, but who ever does? I'm not suicidal. I'm past that. I'm not self abusive. Sure I used to be, but not anymore. So why do I feel like this? There's still self hatred, even if it isn't physical. I do, however, feel that it's for different reason now. It's not necessarily because I'm gay. It's more because of the repercussions of being gay, on in particular.

I began coming out last semester (as almost all of my posts probably say, sorry about that btw). I live in Eastern Kentucky and I'm gay. That statement in and of itself is contradictory. The LGBT ALLYance on campus isn't what I thought it'd be. It's made up of maybe 15 people and 90% of those are lesbians (nothing against lesbians obviously, just not quite what I'm looking for). I'm not completely out, so I can't go on facebook without any hesitation or a spazz of public paranoia.

I want to be more closely connected with the LGBT community. I want to meet people. Guys. Guys interested in me. But I have no support group. No internet connections. And still being in the closet (because I can't afford to lose my family right now) doesn't help.

Don't get me wrong, I value this site highly. It's gotten me through some difficult episodes, but the answers to these posts lately only serve to depress me more. Half the time it's anonymous. And the rest of the time I see people looking for support or giving advice, never anyone looking for someone special. That's what I want. I'm tired of waiting. I don't want to seem like a pity party, I'm just so tired. Waiting all this time to start coming out, and then having to wait so long for love? How is that fair?

I don't think I've ever felt this lonely. So out of touch. I don't want to be that guy who has to have a boyfriend to feel complete. That's not quite me. I just want to know someone cares. I've waited so long, just to wait some more? No. I refuse. I feel like all I'll ever have are friends, nothing more. I can't deal with that thought, so I'll stop rambling and end this thread. I'll dry my tears and deal like I usually do. With alcohol, alone, in my bedroom.

2. Ticklish Fish

*hug*
    I am sorry to hear that.
    I don't know much about Kentucky, but meeting the right person would take some time. There are people who have hook ups and short dates (obviously not me), and dating may or may not work out as well as take trials and errors.

I really don't know much to say, really. I am inexperienced, in closet.

Also, this site has this external site policy for security reasons, maybe that's why you haven't seen people trying to look for special people here.

3. SparkleDuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I really am.
    I know the feeling of just not being in touch with the LGBT community, or any community really.
    I know how it feels to be so alone as well, if that's any consolation.
    I've waited so long for someone-anyone.
    It hurts, I know this.
    But maybe we just need to wait a bit more?
    Just please know that you're not truly alone.. There will always be someone who cares about you. It may even just be one person - even if it's just someone online.
    If you need to vent anything - at all - you can always shoot me a message.
    I just know how feeling so alone can really hurt. Just stay strong, because there's always people that care.

4. photoguy93

Trust me - coming out is so walk in the part either. It doesn't really change, so don't feel like it's some grand thing to look forward to. It is nice to be open and people will be more open with you- but I thought it would change my relationship status. Years later, it hasn't done anything.

You, however, are NOT alone. Besides being in such a place as you are, I really am in the same situation. My best advice is that you just have to hold on to who you are, value yourself and then you have to just wait. In terms of this site and the internet in general - I've actually thought it was different. I get so jealous, and I see a lot of people say "ohh, my boyfriend did this... etc." It's like, has anyone ever had to do what we've done?

I really used to think that guys would come up to me. WRONG. Seriously - it's not the world we expect. Either you have to make a move (and risk getting really hurt) or you just have to wait. Be strong. It will pay off.

Seriously - you are ok! It's just.....our lives right now. I wish I could tell you something sure fire to do.

Also... the alcohol. Please be careful. :frowning2:

5. Jeff

There are men who do not find that someone special until their late 30s or late 40s even. Some guys can have some amazing sex partners over their life, yet never do meet up with that one mate that they desire.

So you have to take care of yourself. Because if you look like damaged goods, and are full of the blues, no one will want you other than for quicky sex.

Try and become the type you want in a mate. Do you want brains, brawn, nerdy, bear, of what? Figure out what you want and go for it.

You sound too young to really be ready for a relationship, imo.

6. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

(*hug*)

Yeah pal you're so young. 16, wow I don't even remember what 16 was like... well actually I remember it sucked, like a supermassive blackhole :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You know what I have learned in life. You have to love yourself before you can love anyone.

Plus if you enter a relationship while your in this mental state you run the risk entering an abusive relationship. Something like that happened to me in college.

I'm sorry things are so hard right now. But they do get better. Trust!

Sending my best wishes.

7. derrik

Monty

Hang in there - don't give up before the miracle occurs

Rely on your friends and family - sometime the right person will arrive

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Monty

You are sounding trapped. Take it from an older one who has been in a similar position..... looking back my biggest mistake was isolating myself and not mixing with LGBT people enough, or early enough.

That may be difficult for you where you are .. or it may make you uncomfortable ...

But you do not have to go to dedicated LGBT groups - just wider social groups, hobbies, activities where your circle of (mixed) friends will expand. Within that larger circle will pop along some nice LGBT people you would otherwise not meet

Also if you have access to a counsellor - I would definitely have a few chats with him/her

Ultimately you may want to move to a bigger city and a new life, but if you are staying put in Kentucky, for now at least, you need to make some changes or you will risk remaining miserable

... and you deserve to be happy!!

9. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Funny, Darkrai, you're actually seeing my number of posts, not my age. I'm 19, and a sophomore in college. I do, however, appreciate your concern. The same goes for all of you. I was in a low place last night, I know the alcohol didn't help, nor did being surrounded by all the Valentine's Day mush.

Maybe I'm too used to my area? I come from a small town where it seems like EVERYBODY is in a relationship. 6 people I graduated with are married now, and even more than that are either pregnant, or already have their first child.

Don't misunderstand...god knows I don't want to be married, not for a very long time, and it would be even more ridiculous to say I want a child :roflmao: It's just that I'm tired of looking around and seeing everyone huddled up together with that special someone, and realizing how distant I am from the LGBT community, and how deprived I am of even the opportunity to meet someone. My roommate is openly gay, and he's always talking about these guys he knows, from pikeville, ohio, lexington, louisville, and I have no idea how he met them and how he got connected with all of them.

It seems like that's the case with a lot of the gay people I actually know. They all know just about every gay guy in the tri-state area. I can't do that, not while I'm still in the closet. Most of my family is on facebook, including my mom. If I were to start adding all these random gay guys, there would definitely be questions to answer. And as the OP says, I depend on them financially to a certain extent. Not for school, I have that paid for through my scholarships. But they help me with rent and gas money since I've yet to find a job (don't think I'm not looking).

I just feel stuck. I thought that once I started coming out of the closet it would be so much easier to meet the people I'm actually interested. But now that I'm at that point, it's only brought me to the realization that it's harder than I ever imagined.

10. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Hey there, I understand how you feel a bit. When I was 15/16, I was so far in the closet that I couldn't even see the door. I wanted support, and I needed it.. but my school had no gay clubs or resources. The only people who knew about my sexuality were my closest friends, but I still felt alone after I came out to them. I had nobody I could speak with about my sexuality and problems that came with it...

I don't know about Kentucky, I'm not American, I couldn't even point it out on a map or state one fact about it but I'm assuming it's pretty unfriendly based on what I've seen/heard from users here and on other sites. I'm sorry about that, maybe when you have the chance.. you could move to a different, much more accepting state for college?

Have you thought of speaking to a counsellor, or perhaps a therapist? Because they can help, quite a lot. And they can help organize some LGBT-friendly things for you such as groups. Or you can start going to things locally, just to meet new people. You never know if you might meet another gay teen here or there, and you won't feel as alone regardless.

And the alcohol deal, maybe try to find a healthier way to let go/vent, rather than hurt your body? I used to drink a lot too, and I still do sometimes, but not because I'm upset or wanting to get drunk so I can forget about things. Find a better avenue to take and use it. That could anything from writing music to taking a kickboxing class to writing/blogging on the internet.

I wish you the best, and it can happen.

11. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'M NOT SIXTEEN. Haha. I'm NINETEEN, and I'm ALREADY IN COLLEGE. I'm trying to get the point across that I've been to the LGBT club on campus (ALLYance) and it's a joke, a small membership club with very few gays to talk to. I would love to move away to a more accepting place, I've even got a friend who wants to go with me, but it's not financially possible right now, and probably won't be until I graduate college.

Maybe these answers would be a little more helpful if I could get it across that I'm not sixteen and I'm not in high school. I'm nineteen and I'm a sophomore in college.

12. Ticklish Fish

lol, people here mistaken POSTS as AGE sometimes :roflmao: :eusa_clap :badgrin: :eusa_naug

13. SAAB900TURBO

Dear Monty93,

I wish I can use a magic wand on you and prince charming is suddenly on your side but unfortunately, you just got to SMELL THE COFFEE AND MOVE ON.

Being 19 and still in the closet, you should concentrate more on other aspects in life. In time you will be integrating with the LGBT community but as of now you need to settle on those grades. Please bear in mind that some people will find that special someone tomorrow while others try hard and never did in their lifetime.

But don't be stressed about this right now. (I wish I could turn back time to be 19 again but that is another story, sorry for digressing LOL!)

When it comes to feelings and relationships put it in the back-burner. The time is just not right for you right now and there are no apparent opportunities but just keep believing that one day it will come and this trapped feeling is temporary.

Be stressed about other material aspects first. In this forever crazy economic situation, work hard for the potentials bills to pay, when can you afford to live by yourself, career; what do you want to do for a salary.

The best time for finding a relationship is when you've got a solid career, preferably staying by yourself and a FICO score close to 800! Trust me, with such confidence built up, relationships will ALWAYS come naturally and might even be on demand LOL!

Bottomline : The World has gone Materialistic. Prepare for that FIRST and the rest will follow. (!)

14. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

My bad Monty!

Well 19, at your age I had no friends and denied the fact that I was gay :confused: lol

So I would say you're making some progress!

I'm with everyone else, for now focus on them grades. Get those neurons firing and the smoke is bound to attract someone... :grin:

15. photoguy93

I don't want to really stir the pot....but I think that things like "ohh, just focus on the grades" or "ohh, you're young" are kind of what someone like Monty doesn't want to hear... unless I'm just that negative.
    It's really hard for people like us to hear that - I personally have heard it for YEARS.
    How does someone, practically speaking, deal with "the gay roommate" or all the couples?

16. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    God knows an English major/Philosophy minor has enough to occupy his time...

I constantly have the outlet of literature and writing, or contemplating Doctor Ryan's last lecture on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, haha. I guess I can try to focus on that instead, for the time being.

17. AKTodd

Hi Monty,

Regarding your roommate - are you out to him? Could you ask him about how he met all these guys? Or are things with him such that this would risk your own situation?

Are there ever gatherings or parties at the homes of people off-campus that you could take part in? I realize that with the prevalence of camera phones there could be potential issues with you showing up on facebook unexpectedly, but there might be options here depending on the type of gathering.

What about the larger LGBT community off-campus? Does such exist and could you become involved with it if it does? Not the local Pride or whatever that would out you, but just members of the local community you could make friends with and be able to talk to, maybe go out to dinner with or whatever. Not thinking in terms of you finding necessarily finding a relationship this way, to be honest, but it might at least expand your circle of friends (and off-campus/non-students might be less likely to be snapping photos of everything) and give you more people to talk to and be yourself with.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas than the above:/ Will let this percolate in the back of my brain and see if something better surfaces.

Take care,

Todd

18. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am out to my roommate actually, and he's offered me some great advice so far, but he tells me the same thing I seem to keep hearing on here. I'm too young, it shouldn't be a priority, I won't be able to handle the drama and stress of coming out any further than I already am, etc.

The truth is, there are a surprising number of gays in my college's town, at least when compared to the even smaller town that I came from. But it's still Eastern Kentucky. Homosexuality is extremely taboo, and it feels like everyone knows everyone else. If I were to slip up and come out to the wrong person, it wouldn't take long to get back to my hometown, and even worse, back to my parents.

Any of the relationships I've attempted to pursue have turned out unproductive and somewhat unhealthy. One was constantly threatening suicide and trying to guilt me into staying with him. The other offered to take me to a lake alone after the first time we met (thank god I was smart enough to decline)...

Is it possible I'm just looking for some assurance that there are decent guys out there? I don't know, maybe it's not my place to answer that. Anyway, the dating scene has been a bit detrimental to my confidence in the dating world in general. And I do go to "social gatherings" every now and then, but usually people come to my house, and it's the people I already know. I feel uneasy going out to meet people. I often think I suffer from social paranoia or anxiety because I make assumptions about what I think others say about me when I'm not around. I'm not sure why. But I'm rambling again, sorry. I'll just end it there I suppose.

19. AKTodd

Hmm. I'm not sure what your age and education situation necessarily have to do with your desire to have someone special in your life or to have a more open life to be yourself. Unless we're talking in terms of a near term investment of time and/or 'intestinal fortitude' for the promise of a larger 'payoff' in the future. For example, if getting through college will put you in a situation where you could readily move to a *much* more accepting environment with a *much* larger gay population (with associated much larger friendship/relationship prospects), then I could sort of see going that road. I know it's hard, but toughing out the 2-3 years to finish your education in such a situation might be worth the effort (and 2-3yrs actually isn't that long of a period, especially if you are keeping busy and have a goal you can see yourself progressing toward). Obviously I don't know your complete situation so the above is just a hypothetical at this point.

Outside of something like the above, I really can't fault you for wanting to be able to be open about yourself and find someone special in your life. I will warn you that the old saying about having to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince is pretty much true. For pretty much everyone, gay, straight, or anything else. I've known plenty of straight people who agonized about finding someone just as much as anything I've seen since joining EC. Not the happiest thought perhaps, but best to approach these things eyes open IMHO.

A major factor here seems to be the situation with your parents, specifically your financial partial dependency on them. Are there any options for you to change that equation? For example, could you get a part-time job or work summers and save up money or somesuch so that you could change that dynamic?

Todd

20. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm definitely looking for a job. I just haven't had any luck. Last semester I was living on campus, and my scholarships covered the majority of the cost. Now that I'm living off campus, my refund check has been enough to cover me for a few months (three months), along with fraternity dues (which I don't plan on continuing after this semester, just not worth the cost). This means that if I don't get a job within the next month or so, I'll have to start getting their help on rent. They've already told me they have no problem helping me on rent since I've gotten myself through the first two semesters, covering the costs of classes and books with academic merit.

Coming out to them wouldn't exactly promote their tendency to help me, especially my dad. He's one of those, "look at that faggot" while we watch t.v., "I can't watch it since they put queers on there", kinds of dads. I can't risk coming out to them before I'm financially self-sufficient, and I can't do that until I have a job. I have applications in everywhere, and I'm going to try for something on campus. The problem is that I don't have any previous work experience, and there's massive competition against other students.

I've just had a revelation, sorry to get off subject, but I'm really good at rambling aren't I? I need to learnt to focus my thoughts better. When I was little and did jigsaw puzzles with my aunt, or more commonly by myself, I figured out that in order to solve the puzzle more quickly I had to start with the corners and edges. I had to see the framework before I could follow the trails of colors, the swirls of incomprehensible half-shapes to the center.

I'm not a pool, I can't dive straight to the center. I'm more like marble, and I need to be chipped away, through the smooth layers to the rougher interior, sorted out carefully and planned with care. Of course I'm going to look a little rough along the way, some jagged points, some dings and dents. But eventually I'll make it to the center and put that final piece in place. I guess I'm just feeling a little mixed up, jumbled, like when you first dump out the puzzle. Sorry for the rant. Oh, look, another apology, like the annoying little cardboard shavings that just get in the way of the pieces fitting together just right.

And after another glorious rant, I guess I'll leave it at that.:icon_redf