1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biking.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hello I have mostly in my life to be the guy playing video games and watching television however in recent times I have found myself with a interest in going outside more often and I am thinking about for the first time ever learning how to bike ride.

Also I looked up information on wikihow on how to bike ride recently

Any Advice or a Good place to start for me?

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean how to learn how to ride a bicycle? Or how to learn how to ride a motorbike?

It it's the bicycle one: I have no idea! I normally tell children that there's no such thing as learning how to ride a bike. It's just overcoming your fears and having the confidence to do it. It's pretty much the same thing with learning to swim. There's nothing to learn, really. You can't forget how to do either.

I would say that purchasing a bike is a good idea. And riding one in a big open and safe place is your best bet.

I can't say I've ever helped an adult learn how to cycle, but I would imagine that it's a much quicker process for adults. Just mess around on a bike. Maybe take someone else with you that can help you get your balance the first few tries. But I think it should be easy. (I could be totally wrong, too!)

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two: I agree there's nothing to forget about riding a bike, but there are things to forget about stopping. My grandma decided to dig out her bicycle after not having ridden one in at least a decade, likely a couple decades, and she decided that to stop you just squeeze the brake, and that's it. She rolled to a stop, and fell over. I forget what she broke, this was a few years ago.

4. Thanks (Regular one and how to ride it)

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Get a cheap but not sucky bike. You might want to get it new because I've gotten a very good used bike for 50 dollars and a very bad one. Either get a Trek if you have significant disposable income (like this: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...eviews?url=us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx)
    Or you could get a Schwinn or something if you don't.

As for how to ride: The easiest way is to find a downhill slope. But don't have it steep at all. Maybe 3 feet downhill for every 100 vertical. It should be just steep enough so that your bike will pick up speed very slowly. Set the seat down as low as you need to, so that your feet can touch the ground easily. Now what you're going to do is sort of run with your legs straddling the bike, sit down on the seat, and lift your legs up, not far, just an inch from the ground. The pedals will not move because of the gearing system. Keep doing this until you can put your feet on the pedals. Don't turn them, just put them there. Then try very slowly turning the pedals, but not so fast that you're propelling them. You'll find that with pedals, there is a certain point at which the pedals are matching the speed of the bike. Try to find that spot. Once you're comfortable with that, just keep doing it and you'll propel yourself!

As for gears, those are often unique. But just remember that the left hand is usually the front sprocket and the right hand the back (it's the same for braking). Just shift the lever to change gears. To have an easier ratio (i.e. 1 turn of pedals per turn of wheels), move the chain closer to the bike frame. This will be going to a smaller sprocket on the front gearing and a bigger on the back. Do the opposite if you're going downhill and want to pedal fast.

For braking, try using about 50% front and 50% back brakes. More advanced people use more front brake, but at this point, your control probably won't be nuanced enough to safely do that.

Hope this helped! If you have any questions, message me!

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be careful what bike you get, though. If you are looking for a bike that you will be able to keep for a long time, and will work well, you want it to be servicable and of decent quality. You're not going to find bikes like that at department stores. The Schwinn brand has both kinds. If you get it from a bike shop, it should be servicable, and be of a decent quality.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2013 at 04:47 PM ----------

Oh, also avoid the biggest/biggest or smallest/smallest combinations of gears. If you use either of those combinations, your chain is much more likely to bind, and wear will be greatly increased on the chain and gears. If you are on the biggest gear in front, you should be on the smaller gears at the back, and vice versa.

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Oops, forgot to say that. About Schwinn, I've had some bad experiences, but I bet that I'm probably one of a few people who has had problems with their bikes.

8. Motov

I have a trek 24 speed mountain bike, I'm glad i have all those speeds.
    The granny gears are a must for some of the hills around here.
    My bike is called a "Marlin" with 29 inch wheels, I love the bike but I will say
    you'll want a good comfy seat and I recommend handle bars that don't make you lean over (for aerodynamic racing) but rather you sit more upright. Shock absorbing forks in the front are great and makes the bike even more comfortable to ride.

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly brought up Schwinn in case the OP was looking at used bikes. Over the last few years, I've seen more Schwinn bikes in department stores than bike shops. My current bike is a 2007 Schwinn from a bike shop. Just replaced the chain and tires last year, and it works good. Only wish I had a bit higher gear ratio for when I get moving.

10. Thanks Guise but knowing my family they'll x3 end up getting me to Grab one at walmart.
    But Ill keep the Brand in mind.