1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't donate blood because you're LGBT?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, Feb 15, 2013.

1. teluphone

I was recently browsing through my confessions page and saw this particular post

"to the person who can't donate blood due to LGBT, yes i know how you feel. I have always wanted to donate blood (i did a few times in jc before i realised i was gay), but now i can't donate cause i am gay. whenever my friends ask me to donate blood i have to cook up some excuses to not being able to donate blood along the lines of scared of needles or apathy or just don't want to donate or what not and i know i look bad in front of my friends like being a pussy for a guy or heartless or whatever but really, they can't handle the truth."

I can't find the earlier post but can someone explain to me why exactly LGBT can't donate blood since one of the comments mentioned there was an article written about this

2. photoguy93

Not actually sure for the real reason, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with HIV/AIDS. We have a "higher risk" of carrying HIV... so yeah, it's stupid. It's old fashioned bigotry.

3. SomeNights

^pretty much. There are a few organizations that are fighting for rights on that front, but I mean really....who wants to get poked by a needle anyway right?

4. TroubledRyan

Last I heard it was due to hiv/aids and the fact that anal sex runs a higher risk of contracting it. I don't think it has as much to do with bigotry(even though some organizatiors are), and more for the recipiants safety. It isn't completely logical, but it is a manor of precaution. It would be nice if you could donate if you proved you were negative the day before though... Maybe some organizations do that now?

5. photoguy93

Well, it's somewhat of a bigotry issue because there's more out there. Anyone could have some disease. We know that we test very well for HIV/AIDS. All blood is tested. So I have mixed feelings....

I *heard* that some donation centers will take your blood and then just throw it out after. I'm not sure how this worked, but some businesses or organizations really want you to donate blood. I could totally be wrong, but I know it heard it or read it somewhere.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been asked why I don't donate blood before. And I give them this look like, "you serious?"

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does that apply to gay women as well? I'm anemic, so there's my excuse...

If anything, I highly doubt someone with HIV/Aids would want to give blood. Having that virus must be the worst feeling ever, and I'd never wish that on anyone not even my worst enemy. I get that some people would be hurt/bitter about it and try to get back at any and everyone--which is a crime. Anyway, I think that's very unfair.

#7 pinklov3ly, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  8. castle walls

No, the ban applies to men that have had sex with men after 1977.

On their FAQ page, the FDA said
    The FDA website in the link has their explanations for the ban, in case anyone is interested in getting information directly from them

9. alberz

alberz Guest

I don't like it, but it's based on statistical evidence. Tests are imperfect, so there is an increased risk of infected blood if donations are allowed by actively gay men. There's also a risk that some people might refuse to accept blood out of fear of infection. Both could cost lives. On the other side, more blood donations would, all else equal, save lives. On balance, however, the policy probably saves lives, so I think it’s justifiable.

I have to say, though, that knowing I'd never be able to give blood is another thing that scares me about the prospect of having sex with a guy, and another reason I'll be very selective in choosing the guy I do it with, if I ever do it.

10. Last Gentleman

In Australia the rule is no giving blood if you've had male to male anal sex, or anal sex with a male that has had male to male anal sex in the last year.

The waiting period with Tattoos is only 6 months.

I think that's wrong, but it's better then Americas rule of "if you've had sex with another man in the last 40 years".