1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to get "gayer" over time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rachael222, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is exactly what seems to have happened to me. It's as if over the years, my attraction to men has diminished to the point where it is not really considerable enough for me to call myself a bisexual. Throughout school, up until the age of 16 or so, I only really crushed on guys. Then, it was kind of a mixture, up until I was 18 or so, and between 19-21 it has really only been women.

Is this unusual? I'm really curious as to what the cause of this could have been. I feel kind of guilty for "making myself gay", even though I know that's unlikely to be what has happened. I currently feel zero sexual attraction to any men that I know. Before, the thought of having sex with certain men was appealing, whereas now, I only really want to date and have sex with women.

I'm considering coming out properly within the few months or so. I've been aware of some degree of same-sex attraction probably since I was 13 or 14, so I feel like at 21 I should probably just get it done with. I feel like the best way to describe myself is probably gay, but I'm a little anxious. I wish I could have some kind of 100% certainty in my head that I would only ever want a girlfriend. I'm aware that once I come out, I'll be out. It'll be a big move, so I want to be sure I'm getting it right. I don't really want to come out as bi, as it doesn't really feel right. Would it be reasonable for me to come out as gay, and cross any bridges that would involve the rather slim possibility of me dating a man if I were to come to them?

Thanks for any advice

2. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that is definitely also what has happened to me. I only used to have passing feelings towards women but now I just left my long term bf even though I love him, because although I still 'check out' guys, I no longer want any relationship with them beyond friendship.

3. flymetothemoon

If you aren't sure what to label yourself you could maybe just coming out as being attracted to girls and let people assume whatever label they do, and if people ask, you could maybe try to explain the Kinsey scale to them and tell them where you think you fall. That's sort of what I did. Some people assume bisexual since they know I've been with men, others assume I am gay and the guys were covers, and others ask and try to understand. I've found the ones I care most about tend to be the ones who ask questions and try to understand rather than assuming.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a thought, as I think it applies to me...

The older I get, the less I am able to repress what has always been there, so the "gayness" is the same throughout, but my defenses against the truth have broken down...

Does that ring true for you?

5. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's interesting, it's good to know that others have experienced this! I always wonder whether I was gay all along but just suppressing it well or something, or if some kind of environmental factors have caused me to become more attracted to women.

I'm not a great at trusting my own judgement on big decisions either, which is probably what is making me hold off coming out properly. I'm kind of excited to, in a weird way.

6. MerBear

as stated above. you could just say your attracted to girls and have them label whatever they want.

what i did ...was say "im not straight but right now im leaning towards girls".

when my friend alex said "are you lesbian?" , thats what i said

i wouldn't be lying....and i wouldn't be wrong. i had this fear of coming out and then being wrong but that way , i wouldn't have to worry because i had to acknowledge i wasn't straight and as of right now , i am leaning towards girls

7. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greatwhale, I kind of know where you're coming from, I guess that could well be true for me too. I keep putting myself off by telling myself I'm still young. I guess 8 years of considerable signs have got to count for something though, right?

Flymetothemoon, I've considered the Kinsley scale possibility before, I just don't know whether it's the right route for me considering I'd probably place myself at least a 5 and the moment. I reckon if there was a guy I would want to date, there would probably be only a handful in the world.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only say that after deciding to come out this past Monday, and to call myself gay, a real and acknowledged "label" I have discovered benefits beyond what I could have expected.

I don't think it would have been the same if I kept it ambiguous or "unlabeled", the most significant thing is that it has given permission to a whole set of thoughts that themselves would never have appeared if I did not make a clean clear-cut decision (while fully aknowledging also that there is no such thing as a definitive, good for all time decision, but it is "good enough" for the foreseeable future)

9. Kay

Kay Guest

I don't think this a case of becoming gayer. It is a case of discovering yourself more fully. It has to do with your acceptance level about being gay. The more you lean toward the same sex the less desirable the opposite becomes. Hugs

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2013 at 08:29 AM ----------

Coming out can be the best thing a person does. It establishes that you are on a path and you fully accept yourself and who you are. The hetero world has no more power over you and you have set yourself free. This is wonderful congrats. Hugs

10. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean about the ambiguity. I myself am reluctant to leave it un-labelled for the same reasons. I know labels aren't always the most useful tools, but if even I am unsure of what I am then I don't think it's something I would be wanting to share. When I come out, I want to be as sure as I can that I'm doing the right thing. I know it's something I need and want to do soon, but the possible repercussions are scary. I think I'm more prepared that I've ever been though, and I don't think I can stand keeping this secret much longer.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it came down to: "what's the alternative?"

I thought for a while that my marriage failed because she wasn't the "right" woman, turns out I am not the "right" man for a woman, and I did not want to inflict myself on someone else who would be willing to give me her deepest love and commitment.

So I basically became a little scared of what I was capable of, and I decided to take a moral stand, for once, and follow the logical consequences...

12. Rexmond

Perhaps you are approaching a new stage of self acceptance? *Some* people who first realise that they are gay sometimes prefer to label themselves as bi, to make it easier for themselves (I actually done this myself).

Or maybe it's just that being bi has different scales, like at one point you'd be more attracted to guys than girls, or vice versa. If you find yourself regularly confused or questioning then it doesn't make it any easier.

13. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, probably. When I first told the few people that I have, I told them I was bi. Then I started telling myself I was bi with a preference for girls. Now it kind of seems a bit false to identify as bi at all given that in 99/100 situations I'd probably rather be with a woman. I'm kind of still mourning the 'straight side' of myself, but hopefully I'll get past that soon :slight_smile:

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You said earlier that the repercussions are scary, and you're also acknowledging the end of your "straight side"

I can tell you after 20 years of denial that the repercussions of THAT are far scarier!

As for mourning the straight side...is there anything to mourn? The ego plays tricks on us here all the time, it tells us all we have to do to be "normal" including inventing a straight side...

15. goalxelona

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Why are you so stressed about a label? You are who you are. People change all the time. Changing is good. It means evolution. As years go by you are just approaching yourself. Do not put limits about when you are going to come out, just come out when you feel like coming out and forget about labels. Would the label of a girl being < straight> stop you from being in love with her?

16. MartyK

MartyK Guest

It is. It's more a development in sexuality and personality i think. I was with a few females when i was younger and each time i felt like there was something missing. I had also been with a few guys as a teenager and it always seemed right but at the same time left me very confused. The only interest i ever had in females was down to curiosity. When i was 17 i felt for sure that i was gay and i had become incapable of being with a female.

17. Rachael222

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not the label in itself that is stressing me - I feel that if I were to come out vaguely as some degree of bisexual then I would not be being honest to myself or others. I've left it very open for a couple of years in my own head, and it hasn't proved to be very productive, I feel like I'm kidding myself that I like men.

I guess I want to admit to myself and others that I am gay, but then a little part of me wonders "what if I meet some great guy". I believe that chance to be slim, as I am only really truly sexually attracted to women (I think).

My gut feeling is that identifying as gay will give me the sense of correct self-identity that I've been trying to figure out. I can't really imagine ever being in a position where I would marry a man and not always wish for a wife. It's just the annoying little voices that are putting me off, along with general fear of my life changing.

#17 Rachael222, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  18. uhm no i disagree. by accepting yourself you were probably able to allow yourself to indulge in your attractions without thinking much of it. imo at least.

19. Femme

I definitely mourn the straight life. I don't think I'll ever not miss. I miss the comraderie of the girls. Most of my friends are straight females. Its hard to make lesbian or bisexual friends when the only thing we have in common is our attraction to women. My female friends (that are straight) are my friends because we have similar roots, interests and upbringing. It seems weird saying they are my friends that are straight. They are simply my friends. I wasn't living a lie or denying my attractions for women. I first became attracted to a woman during graduate school as an adult.

20. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

It is possible to become "gayer" over time. I'm still not sure how common sexual fluidity is. It may only affect a minority of people. During puberty for me at least was the only time in my life that I felt majorly confused. It became clearer afterwards. I can't wrap my head around the idea of being straight again or even bi. Who knows though