1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is using Hook-Up apps ideal for dating especially if you're in the closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, Feb 16, 2013.

1. teluphone

I was wondering from those who have more experience from using these apps whether they have from experience whether hook-up apps are super useful for this purpose or is it really just for the intended use of hooking up with other people nothing more

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a lot of experience with this, just two or three guys. It depends on what age you are. I've found that a pile of the people on a site in my city who sound like they're only interested in sex are often just as interested in being friends or having a relationship.

I wouldn't think they're the best way for trying to find someone to date, but then again, there aren't that many ways for gay people to find other gay guys to date!

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm not really sure there's a point in dating before coming out. It will just cause problems later in the relationship and it probably wont end well. I would say that realistically, the only thing that will come of sex apps is just that, sex.

Focus on accepting yourself and working on your life before bothering about others :slight_smile:

All the best.

4. castle walls

I don't recommend using a hook up app to try and find a relationship. Personally, I haven't used them myself but I have seen them in action. If you're looking for a relationship, I'd stay away from hook up apps. I think you'd have the best luck meeting someone in real life and building a relationship that way.

I disagree. I kept a relationship going strong for over five years and I was in the closet. We did break up but it had nothing to do with my closeted status and we remain good friends

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried hooking up with a closeted guy, and I gave up on it because he didn't want to meet in a public place...

6. teluphone

Focus on accepting yourself and working on your life before bothering about others

^uh what do you mean when you say "before bothering about others"?

7. Mogget

Hook-up apps are only useful if you want one-night stands.

8. Motov

Look for the letters LTR (Long Term Relationship), My current guy have been together for nearly two years. It can happen, just don't expect it, one thing to keep in mind become great friends first accept each other's weaknesses, then the rest should take care of itself.
    Usually LTR people are looking for LTR's. When you meet a prospect I'd advise you listen to that soft quiet voice inside. Usually that voice is correct And don't let "love" blind you.

9. jp16

^This and usually those that are looking for a relationship, never find it. Relationships come when you least expect them.

I don’t think it matters where you meet the person. Plus, you're practicing a kind of behavior thats exactly the opposite you want...hookups versus exclusivity. If you really want LTR, there are dozens of better ways to find one than Hook-up app. Some kind of self-improvement is usually the best, because at least you have something useful at the end of the process even if it doesn't find you a partner. Take a course, volunteer, join a club, or just get your ass to the gym, anything that puts you in personal contact with other guys. But finding a relationship specially in the closet is not gonna be easy.

10. MichaelB

Most of the men on them are disgustingly sleazily, so I would advise no. Or atleast be cautious on them.

11. Akatosh

12. teluphone

Well I kinda made friends on there since I'm using the app to scout for new roomies with similar no of pts required when u apply for hall

13. Ianthe

I can't say I have any experience with this. However, I'm not sure how well advice will apply internationally on this subject anyway. Singapore may not be identical in this respect to England, the Philippines or the United States.