1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closet Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Edilex, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Edilex

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am a 13 year old in the closet, and secrets are not one my best things, so I am looking for suggestions for who I should tell first. Friends? Parents?

2. ccdd

ccdd Guest

First of all - welcome to EC!!

How do you think your parents and friends would react?

If you really feel certain, and you do want to come out, I would recommend coming out to friends - or even a friend - before parents. Tell a trusted friend who you expect to support you (although be aware that they may not), and who will respect your privacy. It's always good to build up a support network for yourself before you come out to parents - this is especially so at your age, when you are still dependent upon them. The consequences of a negative reaction from a friend, whilst horrible, are less than the consequences of a negative reaction from parents. (You don't say whether you expect them to be supportive, so I am offering generalised advice here). Good luck whatever you decide.

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :grin:

There is no particular order for coming out. Tell whoever you feel comfortable telling, and don't force yourself to do it if you're not happy about it. It also helps to assure yourself that the person you're coming out to (Especially for a first-timer) isn't going to have a bad reaction.

Also, if you have friends who are LGBT, it might help to come out to them first, as they know exactly how you feel and can help you out with coming out to other people.

4. divadarya

Welcome....The more people you tell, the better you feel..I agree with Heatqueen; there's no particular order.

5. SkyTears

Welcome Edilex!

There is no order in which to come out. Some people like to tell their parents first and some like telling their friends first. (I started with friends but like said it doesn't matter what others do)

The only thing it should really depend on is who you want to tell first. If you feel more comfortable telling one side than the other then go with it. Coming out should be the least amount of stress (even though there is still stress for most) that you can make it. So start with who you want to first. The more people you come out to the easier it will get to make it even less stressful for those that might have been stressful before.

Hope you can follow what I just said and that it was helpful. I'm not very good with words. :dry:

#5 SkyTears, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  6. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Well I have a question for you where in queens do you live? Because some parts may not be safe being out because you can get beat up. But i say start with your best friend and don't say anything till ur completely comfortable. And btw you can PM if you wana know my whole experience on coming out.

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would say to wait first and see how different people you know react to homosexuality before you come out to them. Try and gauge who will be most accepting and come out to them first, then see if they can help you come out to those who are less likely to accept it right from the start.

8. Edilex

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Look for a coming out thread called I did it(!)