1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help.....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by butterflygrl4, Feb 16, 2013.

1. butterflygrl4

I am finding myself in a very difficult situation, and I am hoping you might be able to share some thoughts:

I fell in love with a woman. Until this point, I had always considered myself straight, and I have been in happy relationships with men. I started hanging out with a woman that I worked with, and we were instantly connected. I found her to be intriguing, and I hung on every word she said. I knew she was gay, but I never really thought too much about it. One night while we were hanging out, she asked if she could kiss me, and before I could even think about it, I said yes!

We then dated for 5 years. She was amazing! She treated me like a princess, and always thought about how to make my day. She told me that she has never cared for someone the way she cared for me. We were best friends. I have NEVER had such a strong emotional connection with anyone else in my life, but I was confused about what it meant to be in a relationship with a woman. She was patient with me, and although I came out about our relationship to some friends, I never told my family. She was very patient at first, and every time she brought it up, I said that I would work harder, but my fears and insecurities always overtook me. She suggested that I go to therapy, but I always said that I could handle it myself.

Eventually, she said she got tired of waiting, and that she was leaving me for good. Since then she told me that she is attracted to someone else, and that she doesn’t feel the same way about me anymore. She said that I was living two separate lives, and that as time went on she stopped dreaming of a future with me. We broke up 2 months ago, and it has been crushingly devastating. I think about her constantly, and have spent a lot of time reading about what is important in a relationship, studying my insecurities and reaching out to people. I miss her. I reached out for therapy. I made the difficult decision to talk to my parents. I talked to some friends.

She told me that she would have done anything in the world for me, but now she is so hurt that she doesn’t have the energy to try anymore. She told me that in the past when she prayed about it, God told her to wait, but this last time, she said He told her “be free my child”. Obviously, I am having a really difficult time just walking away. i didn’t give the relationship the chance it deserved because I was fearful of coming out. I want her to be happy. I want to be with her. I have done the things that she had always wanted me to do (therapy, talking with family/friends) and besides that we didn’t fight. When we were together, she told me that she wanted me to fight for her; that I had always fought for everything else that I wanted. My question is: Do I just let her go, and hope that she is happy (since she told me that she doesn’t feel the same way anymore and that she is in a new relationship), or do I continue to fight for her and show her how much I want to be with her? I just can't stop thinking about her. Since we broke up we have hung out a few times (the last time being February 1), but two days ago she sent me a message that said that she can't talk to me or see me because she is moving on with someone else. This is her second relationship since we broke up. Of course I want to respect her and her new relationship; if that makes her happy, then I want her to be there. But I can't stop thinking about being with her.

2. Ianthe

Hi, Welcome to Empty Closets!

It sounds like she has been pretty clear with you that she is done with the relationship and she's moved on. You have to accept that. She's in a new relationship now, and it isn't right for you to interfere with that.

I know that's really hard, and I'm sorry.