1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you stop yourself from spiraling?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Feb 16, 2013.

1. BudderMC

Hey EC. I know I'm not the only one who feels down/has signs of depression at times. I was going through a rough bit the last couple of days, and in talking with a friend I had a realization. Oftentimes when I'm bummed about something I let it propagate until I feel like total crap, but usually all it takes is a good feeling or two to turn it around.

That said, what things do you do to keep yourself from spiraling downward? I used to go for walks, but lately those haven't been helping.

2. MerBear

what things do you do to keep yourself from spiraling downward?

i daydream and listen to music. it helps me escape.

3. Minx

I try to keep my mind as occupied as I can.

Walking, reading, talking, listening to music, pestering friends with funny videos.

When those fail, I people watch/observe. Which puts things into perspective regarding myself. :slight_smile:

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Talk to people! Whenever I chat with people, my mood can go from "I hate my life" to "I'm walkin' on sunshine." I usually text, call, or have Skype calls with one of my friends when I'm a bummer mood because it gets my mind off the subject and socializing makes me a happy camper, it just energizes me. Being alone makes me depressed after awhile and I can't take it. One time when I was in a huge depressive rut, maybe back in December, I made an excuse to go down to the Aldi's on my street just so I could talk to the cashier because it was some social interaction. I know that sounds pathetic, but it just lights my mood so much to hear someone's voice.. to actually converse with somebody.

Besides that, I tend to watch films and shows that I love, and maybe write or play music which provides as a distraction and good way to think positively. But depressive ruts can be tough. I've had to call a few hotlines for help, when I'm at my worst.

5. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if it works as well for guys, but I always found that getting a haircut would usually stop a spiral. I know this sounds silly, but hear me out. The dramatic change that a drastic haircut can provide makes me feel like I"m doing something and like things in my life are within my control. Usually my spirals involve feeling like my life is out of control, so exerting some power over at least a small portion of my life helps.

6. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually take a hobby that I enjoy and really pour my attention into it. Drawing has the ability to suck up hours of time up for me. I also like to put myself into a characters role in an RPG to escape my constant depression. Sometimes it takes intense concentration to get out of a funk for me; but trying is far more constructive than sitting around and picking yourself apart. What sort of things do you enjoy photographing? Any parks you have yet to explore locally? Try going out and finding new scenery to photograph at a place you haven't gone to yet. I found that if you just walk your mind tends to wander, so all you are doing is really just wearing yourself out physically. If you give yourself a task while walking though you will find that your worries will quickly pass. And by taking photos you have something positive to show for your time instead of empty negativity. Hope that helps! ^_^

7. Xochipilli

I'm sorry you've been feeling down. Being silly usually helps me out, even if it takes me a few tries to warm up to an idea. I usually listen to music that makes me want to grind whatever is near. And I dance badly, as long as no one is around :grin:
    Also, kissing my dogs' foreheads repeatedly makes the bad feelings go away.

8. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is a good thread. I do not have good coping mechanisms. I end up doing things that I'm ashamed or angry with myself for doing later on. Thanks for posting this thread. Hopefully it'll give me some new ideas to deal with my mood swings...

9. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, talking to people really helps, well that is unless people are your problem then...don't do that. When you talk to people you can just let out all your emotions and not have a care in the world, as long as the person you're talking is considerate and not a total douchebag, something that I have run into on countless occasions. However, if the person is considerate, then just talk to them.

I've also found music a nice escape. Put your earbuds in, turn your music on and drown out the world. 90% that's what I do to stop myself from spiraling, something common with me lately.

Also, thinking positively helps. If you are just constantly getting down on yourself then just find a reason to cheer up, it actually really helps.

If you need to talk PM me, I'm always here to listen, and can give personal advice on the matters of 'spiraling.'

*Hugs*

10. BudderMC

Thanks everyone. I think I do need to talk things out more... even though I don't do it often IRL, I haven't even done it much on here lately.

I also need to pick up a new hobby I think. Something that's really immersive, to take my mind off of things.

11. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An immersive hobby? How about writing? I write and I would count it as highly immersive. Half the time I'll be writing, take a break and then ask myself what happened in the show I was watching or even what song I was listening to. You completely lose relevance to the outside world, you can also write about what's stressing you out, that seems to help for me.

But seriously if you need to vent or just talk I'm always here, so just PM me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find drawing does that for me. When I draw my mind goes some place else for hours and hours. And that place does not include any stress or worry. It's like you're separate from your body. It's why I started drawing in the first place.

13. Going to Taekwondo classes helps me cheer up when I start to feel depressed. The physical activity helps me take my mind off my problems, and I'm also really close friends with the people I train with, so I can talk with them to make myself feel better. That combination never fails to lift my spirits.

I hope you find something that helps you feel better.

14. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever I'm feeling down, I talk about how I feel. It helps a ton and I also listen to music or watch funny movies or write in my diary. I hope you feel better (*hug*)

#14 pinklov3ly, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. wandering i

Personally, if I can "accomplish" something, it really helps me get a foothold so I don't fall so deep. So small goals like doing laundry, cleaning my room, drawing a picture, writing a letter, making a phone call I was supposed to, finishing some research, etc will give me the sense of satisfaction that I made some progress with the day. Before my anxiety hampered my ability to go out, I used to like finding new places. Exploring on foot or by bus helped shake me out of the old routine and seeing the outside world would inspire new thoughts. Just feeling like I could leave and start an adventure would often calm my negative impulses.
    I also become a strictler of when I wake up, even if I end up staying up too late I make sure to wake up well before 11am. If I don't I'm more likely to ruin my sleep schedule and feel even more lethargic and unable to function all day.

Drinking enough water and eating healthy will help, too.

16. Poetic Star

Poetic Star Guest

Hi,
    I experience depression in a similar way and for me what helps most of the time is keeping busy like with school or doing errands. Sometimes if something good happens, even if it's something small, like you said, it helps turn my mood around too.

17. BudderMC

I think I'm realizing just how profound an impact music has on my mood. I never really listened to music regularly up until a couple years ago, so I never thought much of it.

I'll definitely need to put together a "happy" playlist... and actually listen to it.

18. I try to sleep it out. For me, personally, by sleeping I can shut down every thought running through me. Once I wake up, my mind will be clear enough to look back at what I thought and re-evaluate myself.

This doesn't really work outside your house though lol. At that point I just try to pump as much empathy into myself by imagining how my actions might hurt or sadden people. Or to remember that I'd get really damn annoyed if I had someone constantly badgering me rofl.

19. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Music helps. I try to keep myself occupied mentally, that way my emotions cannot dominate my thoughts.