1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To Dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Toony92, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Toony92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have come out to 2 close friends now who both accept me for who i am and both say that they will support me. i have a few friends who think i am bi sexual but only about 4, the real reason i am struggling with this is that i dont want to tell my dad. as much as he loves me i know he wouldnt agree with the way that i am, dont get me wrong he would never disown me. but our relationship will change and i dont think it would be for the better. my dad is quiet an angry guy but only vocally, he never hits out or anything but he is easily riled up, my mother would support me i know, as all parents im sure thye would want a straight child but im thier child after all and they should love me. thats how my mum would see it, i mean they practically found out a few years ago but i said i think its a phase lied through my teeth. even got into a relationship with a girl for8 months. i mean i wasnt using her as cover, i saw myself as digusting, hated yself for over 7 years becuase of my thoughts i was having, now i se there is nothing i can change. i am who i am, but it doesnt change the fact that i just want things to stay the same with my dad, i just want to watch footbal with him i just want to be around and not think that all the time i am there he is uncomfortable. this denile ive had had also stoped me in one career i wanted and that was to be in the raf i thought with my dad being in the raf that his views were the same as everyone elses in the forces. that i wouldnt fit in, i mean i think im going to try to go for it, but im just rambling now. basicly to the point, i want to know if anyone has had a negative respons from one parent and a positive from another, does the positive win over the negitive or does it just keep it split? i dont want to cause agro between my parents. WHY IS SAYING THEM TWO WORDS SO HARD!! IM GAY! i can type them but when ever i come to say it i cant.

sorry i think typing this has just helped me, hopefully if you can understand my terrible spelling and grammer then you can comment and help me, thanks for your time

xx

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

If you think you might get a better response from your mother, then perhaps she might be the first one you come out to. You then can chat with her and how she feels about telling your father, and if that might be a good idea. Perhaps she might have some insight into him, and whether it would be a good idea, and how you might go about it.

Lex