1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! My Sister Doesn't Think That I'm Gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adarya, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Adarya

She thinks that I'm too young to know, or that I'm doing it to get attention from our parents. I told her almost two years ago already that I was attracted to girls/had a crush on one, and that was when I was twelve. Now, I've fully accepted myself and am in the process of coming out to my parents (one down, the hardest one yet to go) and she just recently said that she doesn't think that I'm gay! I looked at her like she was crazy, but all she said was "you are friends with too many boys to not be attracted to them in any way". It's true that I'm friends with a lot of males, but I think that's because I want to stay out of most of the gossip of the girls in my grade and that I've had thoughts of being transgendered, so I've always felt more comfortable around the male gender, even if I'm more attracted to romantically and sexually to the female gender. Right now I'm thinking that the only way to solve this is with time, but it really sucks knowing that my own sister isn't taking my sexuality serious just because of who I choose to be friends with.

2. Holmes

It may seem frivolous, but would a come back like saying to her "you are friends with too many girls to not be attracted to them in any way" at least make her struggle for an answer. If she knew at 14 that she liked boys, why can't you know at 14 that you like girls?

3. Vashta Nerada

Just give her time and try and make her see it's serious, and not just a phase or fad!
    Remember if it's taken you two years to fully coming out from liking a girl that it may take her a while to adjust to the idea too!
    Also, congratulations on coming out to one of your parents! woo! (!) Hope it went well.
    -Dan

4. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is one thing I've never understood. "You're too young to know." If you're straight, no one doubts during your teen years you know what you want. You tell them you're gay, lesbian, or bi and they're all, "Oh, it's a phase. You can't possibly know that."

I can't really offer anything that the two others before me posted, but just give it time and don't try to force anything. She'll come around.

5. newgirl31

I always hung out with more guys...because I felt more comfortable being "one of the boys" and yeah, staying out of hetero girl gossip and drama.

But I was in denial for a long time and also wanted to mention I wasn't accepting when my sister told me she was bi back in middle school. But that was MY problem and it sounds like this is your sister who has the problem here...so don't let it hold you back!