1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm having a hard time tolerating this any longer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thebrightficus, Feb 18, 2013.

1. why is it that for me to be a follower of the Buddhist religion i am considered making an inferior decision because someone believed it as 'inferior'? why is that i'm the one getting the bad rap? i cannot stand it anymore, anyone who seriously wants to tell me that they respect me yet makes such a presumptuous attempt to argue the falseness of my religion.

so what makes YOUR belief? better than mine?

because honestly that's what it's spelling to me whenever anyone keeps trying this shit. i am so fucking sick of it. and don't give me any "oh but we DO respect your views!" crap; no, you seriously don't. every goddamn time i see someone mention religion it is meant to call me out as inferior because they find my beliefs illogical or baseless or that i'm inherently weak-minded and you were somehow more lucky to grow up with your own beliefs. every goddamn time i see someone even MENTION religion it is always boiled down to "oh the person isn't stupid themselves, they just grew up believing in stupid things"

uh. yeah, that is inherently condescending of anyone to tell me.

i am so tired of it. why the fuck should i even help anybody out if that's how they're gonna view me? people can figure shit out for them-fucking-selves, you dont need me. obviously i'm too "illogical" compared to you because of my beliefs.

sorry if i made this angry or i was being offensive but i just truly cannot understand it.

and this doesnt even apply to a seeming attack on religion or a genuine attack on religion. every time i see it, it is the same. why don't people just tell me how they REALLY feel, to the very core of things? let go of all respect and tell me, THEN i'll make my judgment

/rant

2. photoguy93

You have every right to be angry. This is one of the biggest problems with Christianity. Can you imagine if something like the whole "having no god before me" thing was left out of the bible?
    I am not trying to bash Christianity. There's that certain group that likes to think they respect other peoples views... but they don't.
    That being said, you need to realize that no one will listen until you show them you are happy. Just be happy with your life and your religious choices.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he's trying to say that atheists are more strongly implicated in this behavior than Christians.

4. ForceAndVerve

People tend to forget that their religious belief is PERSONAL and applies to them alone.

The big problem is when they apply it to other people. :frowning2:

5. but that applies to anyone of any possible faith or personal belief though, not only Christianity.

and i'm upset because of the inherent, like, foulness in such a behavior and mentality of anybody who can truly accept that sort of behavior. i truly do not get it. goddamn i sometimes wished i were less human enough to where i don't need to depend on them to stay socially and mentally healthy.

how can i possibly not be a hypocrite by saying i want be with people when this is what it ends up as? how can i possibly not be a hypocrite when any aspect like this crap will end up being applied to everybody? good lord

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2013 at 08:33 PM ----------

woops, my previous post wasn't worded very well rofl, sorry. just ignore it.

but i digress, still truly annoying

6. Mochi

Dude, I can totally see why ignorant people can be so frustrating. Everyone has their beliefs and opinions, but the most ignorant people are those who can't accept that others with different beliefs than theirs. There are too many stubborn people like this and it is really unfair. The best two examples I can think of are my parents. I will always have a semi-estranged relationship with them, and I've grown to be okay with that. I'm not going to tell you to ignore those who judge you like I do. Really it's your choice. But I do want to say that the beauty about beliefs is that they get to be yours and only yours. No one else can take them away from you. And know that I'm happy for you for having found your own way in buddhism because that's all that matters :slight_smile:

7. but the thing is, i keep getting the same people who do this shit to sympathize or reassure myself and others that "oh, well it's YOUR beliefs and i have mine. it's great that you believed that and if it werent for that then we wouldnt have such an x, y, z". god i just can't help but feel that it's just being patronizing to me and that im to be pitied or some shit.

not to YOU directly because thanks for the sentiment

8. Last Gentleman

I'm aligned to the Buddhist way of thinking. And I say aligned because I'm not about to trade all my possessions in for earth toned robes and begging bowl. I also interpret "do no harm to other beings" rather loosely.

But I have learned that whether they are right or wrong, they have the right to their opinion. You don't have to listen to their opinion if it upsets you. And can tell them it upsets you and ask that they not make such a big deal of it around you. And ultimately, you can walk away from them and refuse to listen (or just tune out).

What ultimately matters, is what you believe.

9. well, yeah i'm aware of that, but nevertheless i cannot stand the injustice (more like absolute rudeness) constantly happening to people because of their beliefs.

and i, too, don't follow the Buddhist principles to the very core but I still prefer to view things in a Buddhist perspective. yet, why is it that i'm constantly (almost) shamed for this? how am i considered idiotic and insane for this? idgi.