1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Through Text(?)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BubbleGumNinja, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I'm considering coming out through a text message... what is your input on this? Would this be a good idea, or should I try another method? Thanks in advance.

2. MerBear

i think its a good method.
    i came out over writing a note

3. koilfong

koilfong Guest

i basically did that. and it worked, so go for it.

4. Minx

*ponders*

It depends, sometimes texts spread around to people other than the receiver. :/

So, be careful. :3

5. Pain

Pain Guest

To whom do you plan on coming out? What's their relation to you? I think it's fine, honestly, because it's easier than anything face-to-face. It takes away the emotion that makes it difficult.

And btw, I appreciate your avatar and signature.

6. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It all depends on the situation, but face-to-face would be best because they can see how important it is to you, and can take you seriously.

7. Niko

I did it and it worked out just fine. If you trust the person enough to not spread it around you should be good. :slight_smile:

8. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it's a good idea. Texts are nowhere as personal as face-to-face, and the conversation that occurs after coming out can't be properly handled through texts. Then again, I think this way because I'm part of the last generation who grew up without cell phones and texts.

9. josh9623

i wouldn't recommend this, while i have done it, i have only done it once and i wish i could take it back and do it the right way, face to face

10. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my brother and sister through text. I couldn't bring myself to say it... It worked, I would recommend it if you can't say it.

11. TARDISDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first time I came out was via text. It worked fine. Just make sure you trust the person enough that they wont spread it.

12. The username

I am actually thinking about doing it by text... while next to the person. Simply because it would be hard to get out in words; I would feel weird just saying "I'm gay." That way immediately after I can have a face-to-face conversation about it, which I would like to happen.

13. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

Lost of people come out over text. The one bad thing is that you can't see their reaction so you may be left wondering for quite a while about how they take it. I confirmed that I was gay over text and he didn't text me back and, while I knew he was okay with it (he's gay), it was still nerve wracking just waiting for a response.