1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alteak, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Alteak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday, I messaged my friend to tell her the news. Then she messaged me back saying she's 100% supportive. So far, everyone's been accepting.

Which is why I'm wondering if I should message her girlfriend's brother. He's gay and I'm almost positive he likes me (He gave me compliments about my looks and liked a few of my photos that no one else did.)

But I don't know where it would go from there... I haven't told my parents yet and only told one friend. Plus, I really like this kid, but my parents know he's gay, so they would probably suspect something if I wanted to hang out with him.

My sister is a lesbian, so I feel like coming out would completely crush my parents' spirits, even though I came out to my mom in 5th grade (I've known my sexuality for a looooong time). She didn't believe me, though :/

2. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say of course you should! You don't have to come out to your parents just yet, but you should totally let this guy know what's up so you can start doing your man thing :wink: I have faith in you. Also, you don't have to tell your parents anything. Just do what feels right to you right now, and the rest will come eventually. :slight_smile: Good luck, sweetheart.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congratulations on coming out to your friend! It's great that she supports you, and is accepting.

Is your sister out to your parents? If so, how did they react?

How would you feel about coming out to your sister, before coming out to your parents or to the girlfriend's brother, for some extra support?

4. shovelman

First: congrats! :slight_smile:
    Second: I don't think your parents would be upset but probably disappointed which is normal if it happens so don't feel bad but only come out when you think the time is right and you're comfortable.
    Third: if you think you have a chance with this guy I say go for it. :slight_smile:

5. FemCasanova

Whether they`d be disappointed or not it`s the truth, and better they get to deal with it as early as possible, I say :wink: It`s like removing a band-aid...

And you should totally come out to this guy. Who knows, it could turn out to be a happy surprise for him :wink:

Congrats!

6. Alteak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my sister already. She was the first one I told. I literally just told my mom, who's ok with it, too. I just don't know what I'd say to my friend's girlfriend's brother. We haven't talked since Thursday, when we hung out for the first time.

7. Ianthe

Oh, but this is easy. You tell him you just came out to your mom! That is cause for celebrations in gay land! Congratulations!

(Telling him this will also make you out to him--an important step.)

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mom! :slight_smile:

I'd agree with Ianthe. Just tell him that you just came out to your mom and ask if he'd like to hang out with you sometimes.