1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help coming out to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Brandonthomas22, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Brandonthomas22

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...I need help coming out to my family as FtM. It'll be hard with my mom...we were watching an episode of catfish, and one of the people was trans*. My mom told me she didn't understand why people did that to their bodies, and she asked if I was ever going to do that. I sighed and told her no...how do I tell them? :/

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile:

My question would be, do you have a strong network in place that could give you some more confidence in coming out to your parents and dealing with a possible range of questions and worries?

Your mom has mentioned something important: "I don't understand why people did that to their bodies." That is something you will need to answer when talking to them. In fact, you would help them to educate them. Sometimes the more information parents or friends have the less worried they are going to be and are also going to be in a position to understand it all.

3. wandering i

I'm working on an answer to this question, too. This site will definitely be helpful: Answers to your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression
    Have you already come out? I'm unclear on why your mom would ask if you would ever do that.
    If not, is your family fairly accepting of other gender/sexual minorities? Have they been supportive of your decisions in the past?

I think that interaction may be a good place to start the conversation again. "You know when we were watching that movie, and you asked why a person might transition from one sex to another?"

What needs to be understood is that transitioning isn't something people do for fun to become a sex they aren't. It's a way for a person's physical characteristics to match their gender identity, which is their internal sense and image of self. When one's body and society's view of them because of that body is in opposition to how they feel inside, it causes strong negative feelings called Gender Dysphoria. Many people experience it, and some people find ways to accept and deal with it without a physical transition. But others feel the need to one extent or another that they must change their bodies to fully be themselves and be viewed and treated correctly by others.

I'm sure you already know most of this, but when trying to explain to someone who doesn't I think it's important to be clear that this is something a lot of people go through and it is different for every person. So your experience with dysphoria will be unique, and what you need to do to feel better will also be personal to you. I don't know how well your mom will understand but giving her proof that it's natural and transition can be very healthy and life-affirming (though its necessity is different from person to person) may make it easier for her to think positively of.

ps- You don't need to come out to her to have this conversation if you aren't ready. In highschool I had many talks with my mom about the rights of GSM before I even knew I was one! Just letting her know that you care about and respect people's differences and think she should, too, isn't unique to trans* persons. Everyone, GSM or not, should push for understanding and respect for all people.

#3 wandering i, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. Brandonthomas22

Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I don't know why she brought up that point. I don't know why she asked if I would ever do that to myself. They haven't really been supportive of other gender minorities. My cousin came out as trans* and they absolutely resented him.

5. mothcaterpillar

writing a letter REALLY helped me
    forget everything about religion or how they have reacted to other people
    you are their child and that is different to their relationship with anyone else
    there is nothing that can stop you from being their child
    obviously it is a big thing but I was shocked when after some weird questions for the first few days everything returned to normal
    I was scared cos Id read about bad reactions but I told my school guidenc person and after that I managed to give my letter to my parents
    my first meeting with the mental health people is next month :grin:
    welcome and good luck

6. newgirl31