1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UndercoverGypsy, Feb 19, 2013.

1. UndercoverGypsy

Hi guys, I just joined EC (although I have read a couple of threads on here before). I have never told anyone that I like guys, and I know that my mom would completely accept me because she has stated that before, has gay friends, and used to run a business with a gay guy... So, I'm thinking I should start with her, but the first time I really tried was today and I just couldn't get myself to tell her. Any help with this would be amazing (aside from "stop being a pussy", ect) because I really want to come out, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

TL;DR: I'm scared to come out, tips would be appreciated.

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you thought about writing a letter?

I definitely have had trouble coming out to people who I know will be accepting. Sometimes you just can't get the words "I'm gay" out of your mouth. Actually, I don't think I've ever come out by saying the words "I'm gay" to anyone I really cared about. My parents reached the conclusion due to some hints, and I wrote it down on a piece of paper and gave it to my sister. Other times, I've done it over Facebook. One of my best friends asked me after someone prompted him to, so I didn't have to take any initiative and say "I'm gay" either.

Don't get me wrong, I have said "I'm gay" before, just not to anyone of importance to me.

I think it would be a good idea to write a letter and hand it to your Mom, or leave it somewhere where she could find it. You don't even need to be there when she is reading it.

Since you know without doubt that she is going to be accepting, and may even be happy about the news, you have nothing to fear by doing this method.

It doesn't even have to be a long letter! A few lines will do, but do tell her that you love her.

And in the spirit of "TL;DR" (which is not necessary here!): Write her a letter!

3. Naomilly92

First of all. Welcome to EC, I hope you find all the help you're looking for, if not, just PM me. Secondly, coming out is never easy, no matter what the situation is, a cousin of mine is gay, and I still struggled to come out. There are several ways you can go about coming out. A good way might be either to write a letter, or send a text/email letting her know you need to speak to her about something important

4. Turbo Turtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you're sure she will accept you, tell her. It doesn't have to be face-to-face, verbal communication.

As TwoMethod suggested, writing a letter. Alternatively, you can use social networking, email, texting, etc. Whatever makes it easiest for you is what you should do.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

5. UndercoverGypsy

Thanks a ton for responding, and I think I might write a letter, the only problem being that it feels a little impersonal, but if that's what I've gotta do, I'll do it!

---------- Post added 19th Feb 2013 at 07:05 PM ----------

Oh, by the way, thank you all for being so supportive and welcoming! (!)

6. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand what you mean, but a letter can be just the opposite depending on how you write it. Sure, if you write a very short letter and just come out to her, then it is definitely less personal than coming out in person.

But what makes a letter personal is how you write it. Why don't you also include a message to her about how thankful you are to have her, and thank her for all the great things she's done for you. Thank her for loving you as much as she does, and tell her that you don't know what you would do without her.

It goes without saying that your letter should be handwritten. This, in combination with a personal message that comes from the heart, means that it will be anything but impersonal.

7. UndercoverGypsy

Thank you for all of your help! I've written a letter, now I just need to find the right time to put it somewhere she will see it! :icon_bigg

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Good job on writing the letter!! Coming out can be really difficult! I hope it goes well for you :slight_smile:

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what it is to have parents you know will be accepting but still have difficulty telling your parents. What I would do is focus more on telling yourself that you like guys and you want your mom to know. I went though this period of thinking "well, I know one of mom's brothers is gay, and she love him, but she'd thing differently about me." It turned out not to be that way.

What scares you about telling her? I can understand if it's just the uncertainty factor. That's what was hard about telling both of my parents. They both ended up taking it really well in the end. I'm sure your mom will too, from the sound of it.

10. UndercoverGypsy

Uncertainty and nervousness (for no particular reason), are the main things.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2013 at 04:24 PM ----------

Thanks! Still not sure about how I'm gonna go about using the letter at the moment, though... currently it's still hidden on the top of my bookshelf :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great that you've written it!

What I would do is: leave it on the kitchen table before you head to school or something. Just throw it there without thinking about it. You'll be too preoccupied with school to worry about it until you get home, by which stage, your mother will have got over any initial shock and be long on her way to being happy about it (based on what you've told us!).