1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to the prom (with another guy)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Secretgaygent, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Secretgaygent

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So im 17 years old , a junior in high school, and im decently sure about my sexuality but thats not really my concern right now. I'm wondering weather or not i can bring another guy with me to the prom as my date. I don't know if there are any rules against it or not and if people usually do that sort of thing at all
    And another thing im curious about is if we can kiss or not, since other people sure would be :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. DeanIsHome

Well doesn't allowing same-sex couples into the prom depend on you're school/ school district? Idk about you're school but in my high school gay couples can attend all dances as a couple and they can kiss in public you'd just get weird stares.

3. AaronG

AaronG Guest

It depends on your school. If they don't let you in as a couple then just by two separate tickets (at a higher price) and you can kiss him all you want

4. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean you're definitely sure about your sexuality? If so, that's great.

Anyway, I think you'll have to be the one to gauge whether you'll be able to take a guy to the prom.

As far as I know, Massachusetts is a very LGBT friendly state. Gay marriage has been legal for a long time, gay couples can adopt, and there are a lot of laws preventing discrimination of LGBT people. Whether these things are enough to prevent you from experiencing problems, I don't know.

Are there a lot of openly gay people in your school? Is there a support group like a Gay–Straight Alliance? Are there any openly gay teachers?

If so, I think you should probably approach one of them and bring up the issue.

But most importantly: you're the one in your school. Are there homophobic people? Are the management homophobic?

I think if you managed to get to the prom with another guy, it would be fairly reasonable to expect that you could kiss.

5. photoguy93

Common sense is the best judge here. If you have a legitimate concern (say, a very homophobic teacher or administrator...) then I would say NO.