1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something got thrown at me. TW for harrasment stuff

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by person54, Feb 19, 2013.

1. person54

I'm transsexual and a woman. I've been fortunate enough to sort of be moving out of the not nice things happening all the time phase for a few months and people just generally being nice/respectful of me, seeming to just gender me female.

But then shit happens...

I had my work apron with the store logo on it, clearly working, just minding my own business when a group of people that looked to be 19-21 threw bouncy ball at me and I'm thinking they were aiming for my genitals since it hit them.

I thought to myself, "I'm gonna break down and cry right now, I don't think I can hold it back, wait no don't give them the satisfaction, what am I gonna do if somebody trys to hurt me? Just cry about it? that woudln't get me fucking far" They were just staring at me, one of them grinning and then they just talked to each other calmly like nothing had happened for a minute and left.

I felt so embarassed and didn't want to call security and I thought if I tried to tell them I'd break down in front of them and a few others and cry and be even more embarrased. I lasted like ten minutes untill I just went to the employee bathroom and cried for a while.

Like, I don't even know what to think. I've been through shit for being me before but even when things got scary before or I thought people could start getting physical I was always able to avoid it. And now after I've been accepted so well for a while and at work of all places this incident happens(I'm out in the open at a mall).

I feel less in control than I did before and even more vulnerable and unsure of myself. I didn't ask to be who I am and I don't even know what to think right now, I feel so triggered and numb.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dumbasses will be dumbasses. There's nothing there to indicate that they were teasing you for being trans. Depending on how far away they are, hitting a target with such accuracy is no easy feat, and I'd chalk it up to luck. They know you're working and can't confront them, so generally threw the ball just to mess with you. They might have laughed because they actually hit your genital area, and idiots find that sort of thing uproariously funny.

3. person54

@ RSwordsman

okay sorry I didn't feel like giveing you a play by play and no I don't know if it was cuz I'm trans, I don't know why they spent a lot of time staring at my face and just below it (except normally when guys stare and appear to think I'm cis it's my backside they look at). Coulda been for reasons other than that I'm trans but after my having been there I feel that's why. Now that I'm home, embarassingly I see that there's a few hares right on/around my adams apple that I've clearly missed for at least a couple days. I got called a young man today and him by another person, probably the shit job I've done on my facial hair to blame. I didn't wanna focus on it becuase it's dysphoric for me to think about my facial hair and I feel like shit knowing I went around all day to classes and stuff with that hair there. And I assume there's dissmisive people that may say things like, "well see it's your fault that happened beucause you didn't present yourself properly, they wouldn't of done that had you been more careful shaving."

I don't wanna seem ungratful for responses but I don't feel it's appropriate to minimize and be dissmisive if someone comes on a support website, feeling like they've been harrassed and looking for support. If you really feel I'm just oversensitive or lying or blowing things out of proportion please just ignore my comments/threads or whatever.

4. DeanIsHome

Like RSwordsman said, dumb-asses will be dumb-asses, In today's current world, sadly these things happen to all LGBT people once there out, but try to think that one day things like this will be so outrageous that it would happen very rarely, and remember never let you're defenses down, what happened to you was terrible and RUDE, I don't see why they would go out of there way to throw things at you even if they knew you were trans, you're still a human being it's like throwing balls at an elderly man or women, I hope that this does not happen again and if it does I would tell a superior.

#4 DeanIsHome, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013