1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to meet new people my age

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ZanedaKitty, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Simple question, I'm 22 this year, just started working and haven't made any new friends in years in person. I hate clubs and bars so I have no idea what to do to meet people my age. Help?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just some ideas:

Join or volunteer at an lgbt group. Look for arts and crafting groups at local businesses. Find a website that legitimately offers friendship-seeking as an option (so, not a dating website). Google singles groups in your area. Look for any kind of beginners' classes in your area (for a language, for a sport, for a musical instrument). Set a personal goal that once a week you'll go out to a bookstore and try to start a conversation with someone. Ask someone at work who seems nice if they want to catch a movie/game/show/etc.

I once became very good friends with a (straight) guy who overheard me and my then-partner talking about the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer at a restaurant. He stopped to say hi, then said he wanted to see a movie after and invited us. We went, and ended up staying in touch for years - even went to visit him once after he moved away from the city.

Point being - you never know who else is looking for a friend, and the only way to find out is to ask. :slight_smile:

3. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i personally dislike the whole having to look online for friends kind of thing... I recommend you making friends with people at work (for obvious reasons) I think as long as ur friendly and open minded, you will have friends in no time.

also, idk if u go to school, but school is the most important place to make friends... as they will stick by ur side till u graduate eventually.

there's also this site lol... u can find members near ur area and strike up a conversation.

I met a guy on here lol (tick... i know u will read this... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: HI!) and we're friends in person... but met on here.

so yeah... just be positive and people will start talking to you... or be loud... and cling on to people haha, sometimes that's what you gotta do to be noticed.

4. Ticklish Fish

LOL, join organization, sport team, something~

5. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can try a dating website, but clearly state that you're looking for friendship first. Make sure you make it clear you're not looking to hook up, and that your relationship may or may not move to that level. There are plenty of people who use such websites for more casual dating experiences, like finding close platonic friends.