1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yamato, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Yamato

I have written a letter to my friends to tell them that I think I am trans and I was wondereing if people could read it and give any comments or thoughts.
    The letter is for my friends who all know alot about LGBT issues already and are all very understanding. In my group of friends heterosexual cis people are almost a minority. My best friend (I have named him Z in the letter) is FtM so everyone already knows what trans* is so I haven't written any of that in the letter.

Anyway here it is:
    I find it very hard to talk to people about my feelings but I need to talk to you now so have written this letter to get me started.
    In September when Z told us that he is a boy, I got quite confused at first. I had no idea that gender and biological sex were different things and could be different. When I got home from school that day I did some research because I didn’t want to be annoying and ask loads of questions. I learnt a lot and found it quite interesting.
    When I was reading about it all I realised that I recognised a lot of what I was reading in myself. This started to confuse me again and so I decided to stop thinking about it and see if it would go away as things often do in my head. After several weeks and the feelings were still there I decided to do more research. Since then the feelings have been getting stronger.
    I have been thinking about this for a long time but I am finding it really hard to figure out what my gender identity is and it has been making me stressed. I think part of the
    problem is that growing up it was drummed into me that I am a girl.

I plan to talk to Z first either without a letter or I will write him a differeny one.
    I think I will probably talk to my friends seperately but I may have more confidence once I have talked ot Z and just talk to them together.

So, what do you think?
    Thanks for your replies in advance.

2. Ianthe

Talk about your friends a little bit in the letter. Maybe thank them for being such good friends that you know you can count on for support (you're lucky to have that).

Other than that, I think it's a good letter. Good luck!

3. Yamato

Ok thanks, i will put that in.