1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ask what they think?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BrazenFox, Feb 21, 2013.

1. BrazenFox

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have several very conservative, very religious friends. How would I test the waters and ask their opinions on homosexuality? I don't wanna come out only to be surrounded by people who don't want to understand.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just say you know some LGBT members, and see how they respond~

3. Ianthe

You can be a supporter of LGBT rights without coming out yourself. So, maybe just be vocal about supporting marriage equality, and see what they have to say about that.

Or, just bring up the subject as part of a political discussion or something.

4. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have many christian friends so I can tell you from experience you will get varied responses. I was really surprised that most of my friends were very respectful when I came out to them.
    If they are generally understanding and not judgmental they can keep their religious beliefs to themselves and still respect you. (one reaction)
    If they judge people a lot and talk about people's "sinful" actions behind their back this is a sign that they will not take it well, but if they can keep their opinions to themselves and keep an open mind you will be fine.

5. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like Ianthe said, bringing up a political issue works well. I've been staying in the closet around some people like that, but they know I'm a Libertarian and probably assume that's the reason I'm not against gay marriage (for example).