1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have PTSD and might be Bi polar, need somebody else's opinion on if I do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unknown5, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

I think i may have ptsd. Last October I had tried to come out to my mom. I had texted her I think I might be bisexual from a friends house, then my mom instantly went ape shit and started saying all these mean things. Then I ran away from and 5 hours later my mom ha found me and she took me back home. Then she locked me in her room and she started saying all these things about how wrong it was. I don't want to go in to detail about what she said. Then next couple of days she would occasionally beat me. I was.traumatized by this and now every couple of days I some times remember and relive this night and I will get really depressed. I also get depressed over other things. It's gotten to the point where I have cried for hours, cut myself, attempted suicide. But then at times I get get so up and happy and hyper, that I feel at the top of the world. But then I got back to being depressed and then back and forth for periods of time. I have always been going thru faces of up and down my whole life.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: I think I have PTSD and might be Bi polar, need somebody else's opinion on if I d

Hi,

I'm sorry for the experiences you've had. It sounds like your situation may require some outside assistance, as beating a child is (obviously) child abuse.

I would suggest talking to your school guidance counselor and asking for a referral to the school psychologist or social worker. If you don't get any help from that, let us know (PM me, or open an Ask the Staff thread) and we can look into resources available to help you.

3. photoguy93

Re: I think I have PTSD and might be Bi polar, need somebody else's opinion on if I d

If you truly feel like that, then I would think being bipolar is a very strong possibility, as well as PTSD - however, that doesn't seem to be the strongest thing happening to you right now.

You do need to seek help. Bipolar is not something you can treat on your own (that goes for all mental health... but it is especially pertinent that you see a doctor for this type of situation.)

I am very sorry for the situation you have gone through. I hope you are out of that or that you are in a better spot.

4. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Yikes, that's awful. But remember that mood swings are not always bipolar. I have mood swings, like I'm happy when I get ice cream and sad when I'm doing a hard cross country workout. What you should look for is if there's a reason. Are you getting happy or sad for no reason? In that case, definitely look into it.

5. Shorka

Out Status:
    A few people

One of the classic symptoms of PTSD is very big mood swings. Bipolar mood swings often leave you in one state for weeks, not back and forth. You need to speak to a psychiatrist, as they are the ones who can prescribe medication and other treatments, even if that treatment is just referring you to a good therapist.

And yeah, get someone with authority involved about your mother, that's illegal and she should not be doing that.

6. FemCasanova

Whether it is Bipolarity or PTSD, it is not something we can diagnose here, but what we can say is that you definitely need some support, and preferably professional help from a therapist, a school counselor or school nurse. What you went through was terrible, and something like that can affect us for years after it has happened. I am really sorry to hear what your mother did to you. Just remember that you did not do anything wrong. You should be treated with respect and empathy, just like any other person.

I think at this point you really ought to talk to someone who can help you sort these feelings out. I am not quite sure how PTSD is usually treated, but I do know it requires treatment and support. I really hope you can find courage to talk to a school counselor, or another school authority that can help you. A lot of people in your situation don`t get help because they are worried about making a situation worse, but the longer you wait with getting help, the harder it will become for you. Your mental health and well-being is important! You are important! Try to make the number one priority you, because you are the injured party in this situation. Don`t think that this is something you should hide, because it isn`t.

*Big hug*

We`re here for you!

7. Devious Kitty

Most definitely this. ^ Speak to your school guidance counselor about all this. Sadly we can't diagnose anything online, and what you have described sounds to me like abuse. A guidance counselor is your best option right now, and I'd recommend it even if you didn't personally see this as a very serious issue.