1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering if it will be awkward now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CinePhys, Feb 22, 2013.

1. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back-story: So on Wednesday night I went to this party (more of a social gathering during the holidays). I had around 5-6 cans of cider and a shot of Jack Daniels, and I was loosening up. There were around 5/6 of us in the kitchen of my mates house (where the part was being held - Not just the kitchen, the party was in the whole house, but we were in the kitchen...) and we were just chatting about things and the subject of parents arises my friends talk about this divorce here and that problem there and such. This got me thinking about my own parents, specifically my Dad and I came to the realisation that, since he came to know I was gay, around 2 years ago via my mum, we've never spoken about it, and I've never known if he was 'proud' or accepting of me. This hit me pretty hard and I got fairly emotional (probably because of the alcohol - I never really cry at much). So after I've calmed down - the event continues well and everyone goes home that night or sleeps over to go home the next morning.

Fast forward to last night - Dwelling on what had happened at the party and my realisation. I text my dad. I started by talking about this photo sharing website (500px) and gave him the link to my 'profile' (if you can call it that) so he could look over some of my shots. I then just decided to go for the jugular and this is the conversation that followed:

"I need to ask you something"
    "Ok - Is the really the best medium for that?"
    "For me, yeah. Are you proud of me?"
    "Lol - What's not the be proud of?"..."To be more serious, yes"..."I'm also quite proud of myself..."And your mum"
    "Well, for example, when I told you I was gay (past tense seems wrong), your response didn't fill me with relief, to say the least."
    "What response?"
    "Yeah, I know, what do you want me to do about it? - I don't know how you feel and weather or not you accept me"
    "I'd rather thought it was more like "so? - What do you want a medal or something?" and to be honest, I care more about your atrocious spelling - Weather? wtf"
    "I remember your exact words and sorry about the spelling - I haven't had much sleep in the last 48 hours" (because of the party)
    "Which is correct - you should have picked up on 'weather'
    "Well I apologize"
    "Accepted - Now quit thinking that I care about your sexuality - I only care whether you're happy"
    "That's what I needed to hear."

He comes home later today (he works 5 days a week in London and I see him on weekends when he comes home - work is around 150/200 miles away so he rents a flat up there.) and I'm just wondering if I should say anything, if I need to say anything, or just continue as normal and see if he says anything.

2. Phoenixaaa

I wish my dad was as accepting... no need to worry at all.

I believe he will be happy to see his son, from the responses I've seen.

3. RooTX

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He sounds completely fine with it. Doesn't seem to matter to him, all he cares about is your happiness.

4. Perrydaplatypus

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you're pretty lucky! I think he just feels a little awkward about it all, hence the small talk and sleeping corrections, but still he said he was proud, but if you want to hear it in person then bring it up! Otherwise you already know how he feels and based on the conversation you all had it looks like it would probably be awkward!

5. Lewis

I love your dads reaction to your coming out, it's perfect. All coming outs should be like that. Really, so what if we are gay?

It won't be awkward, he's a proud and loving father and you're lucky to have him. :slight_smile:

6. Minx

It doesn't sound like things will be awkward.

I'd be more worried about my spelling around him. :lol:

7. Jordz

I don't think it will be awkward. I like his reaction tho, he doesn't see it as a big thing.