1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do this. How.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anko, Feb 22, 2013.

1. anko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I would really like to come out to my Mom as a lesbian. But the issue seems to be my overactive imagination. My mom is someone fairly religious and I don't think she'd like it if I told her. Whenever I've tried to tell her I clam up and start talking about something else. It seems like I just really don't want to be rejected or to get new restrictions on my life. I just don't want to disappoint her more. I have to depend on my parents for a long time since I'm only in high school and it would be awful to wreck our fragile relationship now.
    But.... well I know I don't want to sneak around and hide it until I'm a full-fledged adult.

So my question for you is: How do you come out to a close-minded adult?
    Or better yet: How do I get past this initial fear?

2. Pain

Pain Guest

What I've done (I've never gotten past the fear) is set a date, about a month in advance. I was shaking when that date came. I came up with a general outline of what I should say, and I stuck to what I wanted to say. To prepare, it's good to ask a friend if there is a place you could stay for a while, even if you don't think you'll be kicked out. Never hurts to have a back up plan.

Anyway, that's all I did, and it worked out quite well...

Good luck!

3. Rivers

If you can't overcome the fear of saying the words out loud, you can right a coming out letter.