1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaction from friends irritating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Joe54321, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Coming out" to my 3 closes friends was really nerve racking but there reaction was really surprising the room went rally quiet one of my friends said "are you joking is this April fools?" It really hurt me that my friend didn't believe me he asked me "is it a phase?" I don't think he appreciated how hard it was for me to tell him. I think I should talk to them all personally but I'm not sure what to say.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Joe, and welcome to EC.

Remember that it took you some time to accept for yourself that you were gay. Your friends are in the same position; any time we process a "loss" (in this case, loss of your identity as "straight" to your friends), we go through stages: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. This can take seconds or months.

In your friends case, it sounds like they were really surprised and the responses they gave are consistent with the initial denial that everyone goes through.

The fact none of them said anything negative is a really good sign. My sense is, if you give it a few days, they'll come around and be completely OK with it. :slight_smile:

BTW, I hope you stick around. EC is a great place to get to know and understand yourself better as you go through the coming out process. :slight_smile: