1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make a friend fall out of love with you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Quaiv, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Quaiv

Hi,
    Here's the main reason I registered here. For those of you who don't want to read the whole story, the last paragraphs (after ***) sum up the situation.

In December, at a party, I talked to one of my best friends and came out to her as bi. Her first reaction being "Uh... Okay... I don't really have anything to say...", I began to make the questions and the answers myself - you know, the usual: I've known for a year, I've become aware of it because of blah blah blah, etc. - up until: "oh, and I'm not attracted to you, don't worry". That's when things became awkward. She first asked me why I wasn't attracted to her, in a playful yet slightly offended tone; I basically told her that I had friendzoned her, and then she added that she was already dubious of my being straight before. When I asked since when, she told me "When I started to question my own orientation." Oh. I was so not expecting that. You see, she's that friend who won't mind about others being gay, but who's mother is strongly homophobic and so wouldn't ever consider it for herself. Of course, I didn't tell her that; I played the part of the supportive friend and kept on questionning her. She then went on to tell me that each time she felt like she could be interested in a guy, she started comparing him with me, his qualities, his humor, his intelligence. She felt like they'd never be able to become as close to her as me. (In my head, the little "wise" voice began saying shit shit shit not good not good at all) Then I asked her: "Can you picture yourself having sex with a girl?" and she answered "Oh, yes, absolutely!". And I just know that she had heard "Can you picture yourself having sex with me?" A few minutes later and she told me that she thought she was in love with me. So noooot good, the little voice went on. I reexplained her that I wasn't in love with her, that I had a boyfriend, thank you very much, but I'm sure she really got it at that moment.
    The day after, she called me (partly to talk about her being a lesbian/bi, since she wasn't sure back then). During that call, she apologized and told me that while she may have feelings for me that went a little beyond friendship, she wasn't actually in love with me. Except I know her. And she didn't sound sincere. But I decided to drop the subject.
    The weeks went on. Little, subtle changes happened. We had a private joke revolving around Death Note (the anime), which had led her to call my her "god of Death" (before the incident). Well... "God" somehow morphed into "goddess". Then, one morning (she texts me a lot. About sixty texts a day. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't date her; she's much too clingy and possessive for me), she called me "sweetheart". I immediately told her not to call me that. She played it off like a joke, not denying the feelings behind her impulse.

In the end, I know she's in love with me (because of these details, but also because she's a terrible liar). She's now certain she's a lesbian. Her mother is strongly homophobic and she won't come out to anyone. We are currently both in "classe prépa" (two years to prepare you for the competitive exams to enter an engineer school, during which you're supposed to focus solely on your work and reduce your social life and other activities to almost nothing. Lots of work. Lots of pressure. Lots of breakdowns). I'm her best and only friend (which partially explains her feelings for me). She's the kind to idealize the person she likes/loves and doesn't seem to be putting much of an effort into moving on to someone else.
    I've tried the "I always complain" strategy. It failed. She just supports me. I've tried "I won't answer your texts". It failed. She's used to sending more texts than me, anyway.
    I'm at a loss. If you've got any advice, I'd gladly take it. Should I confront her? Is it better if I see her during the holidays or not? Other solutions?

2. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Confront her. From what you have described, that seems like the best solution. And if you can't do that, and if you are willing to distance yourself from her, than you can just try being distant as well. I know how that is though, clinginess is one of the biggest turnoffs.

3. Quaiv

Thanks. I think I'll do that (I've already got two friends IRL telling me that. I guess it's enough)

4. Renge

But she's your bestfriend? Don't you think it will hurt her..?

5. Quaiv

I know it's been months, but new things came up. So yeah, I knew it would hurt her, and it did, but I didn't exactly have a choice (the situation was becoming unbearable. She - not so subtly - tried to get me to kiss her/make out with her/probably no more cause she's a virgin several times when she went over at mine in August, and I finally told her in clear terms that nothing was possible. I underlined the fact that even if I broke up with my boyfriend, it would not mean I'd get with her, since the reason we weren't together wasn't that I loved them both but was with my boyfriend, but because I didn't love her, that's all. I was harsh; but I had already told her when she first confessed that I wasn't interested, and she hadn't got the message.
    She was sad. I momentarily hated myself. She didn't contact me for a few days, I asked her if she preferred not to contact me for a while (just to be sure), she said no and resumed sending me texts (though not as many as before). Then, a few weeks ago, she said she had changed her mind. I respected that. Then she changed her mind again. And it seems she hasn't got any better - if anything, she's getting worse: I've received two desperate texts in the past three weeks (she's always had very strong feelings about pretty much everything, and can seem a bit of a drama queen at times). I tried to help her - telling her to see if there was an lgbt association at her university (there is), giving her tips about how to fall out of love with someone after the first text; today I received the second one, and she is apparently depressed. Told her that she really needed to talk to someone, and since I'm her closest friend and the others can be counted on one hand, that someone would have to be a psychologist. I also told her to go check out that lgbt association (she says she wouldn't have the time to come regularly, but it doesn't mean she can't come sometimes...) and gave her this link: Suicide: Read This First (she doesn't sound as bad as that, but I'm not risking it).
    But now I'm at a loss. What more can I do? Because of course there's also the issue of her homophobic mother, and while she has come out to her sister (who took it really well), they aren't exactly close. I'm both one of her only friends and the girl she's in love with, and I don't love her. Sometimes I even feel like I'm starting to hate her, but she's still my friend...