1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my sister who is in college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by forgetregret8, Feb 23, 2013.

1. forgetregret8

Hi!
    A few months ago I came out to myself and spent the last six months coming to terms with that and really accepting myself and understanding myself. I feel ready to come out now, and I even feel proud of this aspect of myself that I once had constantly pushed away and kept locked and hidden away from myself! I have already come out to a few very close friends, but I want to tell my sister. However, she is states away in college and I won't see her in person until April. Even then, I don't think we'll have much alone time and I don't want to tell my whole family until I have talked to her about it. I'm not sure if it's okay to come out to an important person in your life through text, but that's what I want to do. What should I do to make sure that I don't make it seem insincere or somehow wrong? I want to make sure that nothing goes wrong that she might misinterpret and I'm kind of confused about this 'coming out' process. I wasn't able to find really anything on the Internet so I joined EC so I could post this. Please help! The phone is right next to me and I could tell her right now but I don't want it to go wrong and I'm not sure if a text is the best way to do this.

2. campervankid

Hey, sorry if I cant be much help but I deffo know how you feel. My dad lives really far away from me and I only get to see him a few times a year. However I recently learnt that I find coming out face to face is easier in the long run because you can give answeres to any questions then and there - this could work the same on the phone but remember that she is your sister and if she has no reason not to be ok with who you are then maybe she'll just accept who you are and enjoy the time she is spending with her sister. :slight_smile:

3. Munyal

I told a friend over the phone and it was not different than telling her in person. It's not actually even hard, just take a deep breath and tell her. My friend didn't question me at all, and there were no "are you sure?" moments. If you think your sis will be fine with it, just do it! It is much more difficult if you over-think.

DON'T THINK, JUST DO!

4. forgetregret8

I told her and at first she thought someone took my phone, but now everything is great and I am happy :slight_smile: