1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell friends the truth??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by frogger, Feb 23, 2013.

1. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I made two new friends while I'm out here in Virginia for an internship. I've only known them for 4 weeks, but I already know they are supportive of gays, and don't care one way or another if a person is gay or not. As of now I've only told my best friend that I'm gay and have been dating our other best friend for over 2 years now. I've been dieing to tell people I have a gf, and I really really wanna tell my two new friends but for some damn reason the words never come out of my mouth.

I've had plenty of opportunities to say i was gay or I'm dating a girl, or that the person in that picture is my gf. I guess I'm so used to my normal lies and cover up stories that I just can't make myself tell them the truth.

How do I tell them? My gf is coming to visit me in 3 weeks, maybe it will be easier to tell them then.

2. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya, I would just wait until your gf comes to visit.. Or maybe that wouldn't be a good idea? I don't know, what if it really threw them off? But you said they are supportive, so it will probably work out for the best anyways

3. FemCasanova

You could do what I did, when a suitable subject comes up, like allergies, going to the movies or whatever, just slip it in there randomly, like; Yeah, my GF mentioned that movie, she really wants to she it". "Or, my GF is allergic to Strawberries, it makes her throat flair up". Just wait for the right opportunity where it really fits, and is relevant to the conversation, and it might go easier.

It`s at least easier than saying; "I am a lesbian, and I have a GF".
    For some of us :wink:

4. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah that kinda what I was thinking. I guess its just hard to do. I had a few perfect opportunities to say something like that, but instead I said my friend. I'm so used to saying she is my friend, or my best friend instead of gf. Cuz thats what I tell everyone.

When I told my best friend I was dating our other best friend, she basically guessed it so I really didnt have to tell her. She says its pretty obvious and is surprised my parents and everyone else hasn't figured it out yet. Or maybe they have but don't wanna confront me about it.