1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severe hair loss help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sesshomaru

I was just going through old pictures on my phone and though I've known for a while that my hair has been slowly getting shorter and shorter I now see the visible proof and I nearly burst out crying. My hair about 8 months ago was long enough that it rested on my shoulders and I was perfectly happy with that. 5 years ago it was literally halfway down my back. I've never in life had a haircut either. I would give almost anything to have my old hair back and now it's gotten to the point where it won't even reach my shoulders. If it gets much shorter I'm going to pretty much be forced to chop it off and come up with an entire new look.

I've tried just about everything I could think of. I stopped straightening it for a while (I'm Black and Honduran so my hair has a crazy mix of nearly straight sometimes yet wavy others texture) but after I saw it was still getting shorter I resumed it since I figured if it was going to get to the point I had to cut it I might as well enjoy it while I could. I went from straightening it maybe three times a week to now once a week or every other week. Yet if I run a comb through it at night I end up with hair that breaks off and sheds everywhere like a dog. I tried switching shampoo/conditioner too many times to count. The only thing I have yet to try is the new Garnier Fall Fight which I'm doubting will help. I even tried these hair pill supplements my mom recommended by Gueye hair products and even that failed to do anything.

I just feel hopeless and that I will have to cut my hair after going all these years with loving it and it getting to the point that people around me even know me by my hair. It's to the point I figure unless I can find some miracle product and start seeing results within the next few months I'm fated to finally see myself in a barber chair :tears: Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I could do to save my hair before it's too late?

2. thinthinline

If you feel unwell, it might be your thyroid or hormones. If you feel fine, I don't know what to tell you. Since you're a guy, it's not uncommon not to be able to keep long hair that looks healthy because of androgens, a male hormone, which can make hair brittle, as well as a lack of estrogen.

Tip: don't blow dry your hair. They may help.

3. Sesshomaru

The few times I would blow dry it would maybe be once a month or two sometimes. Would that really damage it to the point it constantly breaks off? I feel completely fine too judging by what you said that wouldn't be the cause either. I just can't believe my hair used to be so long and nice yet now just looking at it sometimes makes me frustrated.

4. Ridiculous

Do you know if you have any family history of hair loss/thinning?

5. Sesshomaru

Actually the exact opposite. I have three brothers and all four of us have always had pretty long hair. They all still have their long hair as well, with one of them being 24.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have you tried eating a healthy diet and getting out on the beach?

Hair is indicative of Health.

Eat super healthy, avoid crap food, get outside and exercise.

Think about it anyway.

Healthy hair does not come from a bottle or hairstyle. Healthy hair comes from a healthy body.

7. Sesshomaru

I've been eating healthy and exercising for quite some time now. What would being on the beach have to do with my hair though?

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. Sesshomaru

That kinda seems like a long shot considering I'm out in the sun 6 days a week at minimum walking to and from work/school =/

10. Convoy

You can get sun burn on your head too, but I don't think that's really the issue if you've just been gradually loosing hair (Still it's a wise idea to wear a hat semi frequently outdoors, more so if you're susceptible to burns).

Men in most cases loose their hair for a variety of reasons, I've know a few guys who just started balding in their early 20's and eventually went completely bald. In those cases it's often a hormonal thing where chemicals in your body change and alter to reduce the growth of chemicals that encourage hair growth. It could even be genetic and the result of a gene taking effect.

I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about this; my mother has had numerous issues with her thyroid since she has hashimoto's, a thyroid disorder and occasionally she looses some of her hair due to an imbalance that isn't easily accounted for.

If you are having thyroid issues it's important to find out so that you can get treatment to improve your quality of life (Not to mention the variety of health issues that it can cause.).

Some people just have hair growth cycles where they stop growing hair for a while, anything is possible but if this is noticeably recent I'd recommend talking to your doctor to reduce any health risks.

Stress can result in reduced hair growth as well, I've been stressed quite a bit over the last few years and trust me it can effect you in ways that you wouldn't have thought it could. Stress could be causing your stress :lol:, so don't get to stressed over this and try to keep a calm head; it's a good thing to try and do.