1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My religion

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tyce, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Tyce

Hey guys.

I'm a young teenager who is 85% sure that I'm gay.
    My family are devout Catholics, this means that I know all of the commandments, rules, punishments and sins and all.
    Apparently homosexuality is considered as adultery.
    I love God and Jesus and all, but the thing that questions me is that, will they understand me?
    Will God be happy with me being in a relationship with a man?
    Does God want me in a relationship with a women whom I probably won't be in love with?
    Will I be punished for falling in love?

I love God and always will. I pray to him daily and all. But is being gay really the devil inside of me? - according to some Catholics.

Will I need an exorcism or anything to do with demons possessing me? (I'M SO SCARED OF THAT)

I just have not idea what to do, I mean, I'm never ever gonna turn atheist, I'm just really confused about everything.

I really need help. I dont want any offensive things abou my religion though. I just need some GOOD help. Help please.

2. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Just because your family is Catholic, it doesn't mean you have to be. Live your life the way you want to.
    Keep in mind the thousands of other sins that people do regularly, and think, how is being gay any different (in the eyes of god).
    God made you the way you are, so being with a man wont make him unhappy.

I doubt your extended Family will ever understand, if you have any brothers or sisters, they will be the most likely to understand you.

I'm not religious, and will never understand how people can take what is written in a book as fact.

3. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Aaaah, Welcome to Empty Closets first of all!

I understand your situation, I am going through that. Let me tell you that first, homosexuality is NOT a sin, and it is NOT bad upon God. Being irresponsible with your own sexuality, being promiscuous and not caring about yuorself is the real sin. You know in the Old testament, God destryed those 2 cities (names, please) for their sins, and it mentions about same-sex encounters, what God hates is the irresponsability.

Jesus said: God is Love. He won't punish you. In fact, he created you the way you are. He loves you and he wants you to be happy and he wants you to be responsible and to never forget who He is. As he blasses heterosexaul couples, he certainly loves homosexual couples that are loyal and that are unified. God won't punish you if you fall in love. He is LOVE! How can he punish you for that?

Some Catholics are very close minded (I was one - people here can tell how I was depressed because of this) regarding homosexuality. Don't fear them at all. No, there is no devil inside of you and no, you dont need an exorcism. You love God and that's something good. You pray to God, and I guess he is a very important part of your life. Leave your problems in his hands, you know? Why would he created you gay if he would turn out hating you? No sense, right?

I am Catholic myself and let me tell you that I can feel how God is with me, and hey, I'm gay! I see your mom already knows you're gay. What does she says about it? Is she supportive? Most of the times, parents, especially catholic-closeminded parents will react badly. Don't let them get you down! Point them that God is Love and that God says that humans should NEVER judge other humans, God is the only one able to judge us.

All I told you now is important, but the most important thing is to love God and love yourself as much. You're God's favorite person! He will never want you to be sad or to be bad, he will always look the best for you. Sure, he will let some obstacles over the course, but never will let an obstacle defeat you, never. Trust him, he is your best friend.

We all care about you. I do. Anytime you need to talk, send me a PM.
    Side note: WOW! I can't believe I wrote that. I'm in tears right now because this was my case, and I hope I can be useful.
    (*hug*)

Jean.

4. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Just pointing out: being Gay is not a Sin.
    If they tell you: "But it is!!" Than answer: Alright, so eating pork and working on saturdays are sins too.

5. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

That is the point i was trying to make, in the eyes of religion, its a sin, and i'm pretty sure if you read through the book properly, you'll also see that breathing is a sin.
    I'm not religious tho, so nothing is a sin for me.

6. Tyce

Thank you Jean!

That brought me into tears!
    My first hour in this forum and I'm already tearing with inspiration!

Thanks, that helps me so much. It really helps hearing from a Gay Catholic!
    Now, I understand to be responsible with my sexuality. So now I know, God stills loves me for being gay.

That helped me so much!
    Thanks!

7. Tyce

8. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I'm glad it helped! I'm so glad you have no idea!!!!
    I'm histerically happy, yay!!!!

Be proud of who you are, love God, and you're all set!
    (*hug*)

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

10. CrimsonThunder

I'm also a catholic but I'm not one of those pray every day kinds of ones. I basically live live casually and go to church if something special is on. (I used to go every weekend when I was at school though)

I don't listen to what church nuts have to say about it, for example the ones that go on about how being gay is a sin, I'm not stupid and I know its not a sin. (luckily I've never encountered one in real life, all the people I know from church are smart)

If I could give you any advice, it would be to chill out and not worry too much about what anyone else thinks/says about ya and what god thinks because he'll love you no matter what.

11. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I pity people who try to reconcile faith, especially the Abrahamic faiths, with their homosexuality.

The holy books of all those religions tell adherents of those faiths to hate homosexuality and gays and that being gay is a capital offense. The only reason gay people are largely left alone in this day and age is because most people ignore 95% of what is written in "The Word of God".

Gay Catholics are especially perplexing considering that the official stance of the church, one that has been reiterated several times recently, is that homosexuality is an abberation and a deadly sin and that gays must repent or be doomed to Hell.

God really does hate fags.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

No, God doesn't hate fags.

Some (most?) organised religions have fags, to a greater or lesser degree. They interpret God's word to suit their own views by selecting which parts of the bible to take literally and which to disregard.

This thread shows that it is possible to reconcile the conflicts though, by taking the higher message that "God is love". Xets' post covers that superbly.

13. CrimsonThunder

How is it an offence to be yourself?

14. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

This will just turn into a religion fight. The has the answer he wanted, so i think it should be left at that.

15. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I may be a bit late for this I'm sorry if I am. I'm never cosidered myself religeous but when I first discovered Iwas gay at first I felt alone and scared but then I turned to God for advice. If God helped me through the hardest part of my life so far and supported me then how can being gay be a sin? I found God bydiscovering I was gay so I think that it really doesn't change you in the eyes of God, I think so long as you love/believe in God then God will love you. I hope everything works out for you
    (*hug*)

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God would never create a sin. He created us to love; therefore it doesn't matter which gender. If you are gay, it's because in the spirit world, being homosexual was your soul choice, and part of your life plan. This might be because of the lessons your soul has chosen to learn in this lifetime. You are not in any way under the influence of the devil. And you most certainly don't need to be exorcised.

18. Steam Giant

19. divadarya

I've always believed in God..not necessarily an Abrahamic one.
    When I got sober, I found God again, and God asked of me one thing: find yourself.
    When I found myself, I accepted that I was woman born in male body; that's the way I am and am supposed to be.
    When I surrender, and accept, I know who I am and the way becomes clearer. God is God, Dogma is Politics Is Dogma.
    Love yourself and "God" will love you.

20. KaraBulut

I love God and always will. I pray to him daily and all. But is being gay really the devil inside of me? - according to some Catholics.

It has always seemed a little absurd- the belief that being gay is evil or against the wishes of God.

The reason that many of these mainstream religions are struggling to survive is that the focus of the doctrine has become very centered on "Thou shalt not..." instead of "Thou shalt...". Imagine a world in which everyone told you want you should not do and never told you what you should be doing. It would be very confusing. That is why so many gay people abandon the church- because the instead of the church helping gay people find a personal relationship with God, the church has become too focused on telling gays and lesbians that what they feel is wrong.

There are about 4-5 selected verses that are quoted from the Torah and the Bible as evidence that homosexual acts are sinful. The people who quote these verses usually haven't a clue what the verses mean or that these few verses are being quoted out of context. Fundamentalists who quote Leviticus are especially guilty- Leviticus is the source of many of the Jewish rules for Kosher food. What they're arguing is that being gay is against the rules but eating a ham sandwich or eating clam chowder is okay (eating pork and shellfish is forbidden according to Leviticus).

When you are young, you usually have little choice about which church you attend. When you are older, you can select a church that does not focus on sin and negativity. There are other churches that have a more welcoming attitude For example, here is an ad for United Church of Christ which is a church that welcomes everyone, including gays and lesbians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbbov3GE8nc