1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing between Two Colleges

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Your Pal DK, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Your Pal DK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have recently been presented with a major decision that will undoubtedly affect the rest of my life and the problem is that I hate making major decisions. :eek: I have all ready applied to both of these universities and have been accepted but now is time that I choose between the two to spare having crappy housing and a bad class schedule. I am choosing between Western Illinois University and Southern Illinois University @ Carbondale (If anyone attends/has attended either please weigh in as your person experiences at either would be great to know). This will be a long read but I'd very much appreciate it if you gave me input. :icon_bigg

The major pro about going to Western is that I will be going with my best friend (whom I had a major crush on for two years and am still recovering from the realization he isn't gay and that nothing will happen between us) which would make the whole college experience less nerve wrecking for me. Originally he said he'd really enjoy Carbondale but I think the realization that he'll rarely see his girlfriend who is a Junior if he goes there set in. (Carbondale is 7 hours away) I am also under the impression she is going to go to a college near Macomb so he is basically choosing his wants over mine (As usual) but just ditching him and going to Southern would really hurt his feelings.. I can also have a car on campus first year which gives me a major sense of security even though it is only an hour from home. The con about going with him to Western will be the fact I won't be able to just go to college and be out like I had intended.

The pros with Southern are that it seems to be more accredited, it is 7 hours away (I think a key thing with the college experience is independence and breaking away) and one of the major things for me is its location. It is surrounded by lakes, forests, and mountains, better than the cornfields I am used to now and the cornfields I'd be seeing at Western, I can just imagine myself inversed there; hiking, going on jogs... Carbondale has more fun things to do outside of campus where as Macomb has pretty much nothing to do outside of campus. Another great thing about Carbondale is that I can just go there and be out which will open up many opportunities. The major con with it is taking that whole leap by myself far from home and carless (No cars on campus freshmen year), it just scares me to think about it.

Please weigh in your opinions and feel free to ask any other details! :slight_smile:

2. Equalist

Equalist Guest

You seem to like Carbondale more. I think with picking a college, it is important to weigh the different factors according to what you are ultimately looking for in a school (I am also getting ready to start college in the fall). I like the idea of going away for college since we are essentially starting our adult lives. All of the schools I applied to are a good ways away, and I do not intend on coming home for anything other than the holidays and summer break. I am very eager to start over in a way since I'll pretty much be on my own.

Like you, I'm a bit nervous, but I would say I'm actually more excited for the opportunity. When you think about it, you shouldn't be nervous because all of the other freshmen will be going through the same. Some may be a bit closer to home, others may be from out of state, but nonetheless, all of them are getting out and starting college for the first time (assuming they living on campus).

I don't think you should pick a campus because your friend is going there. You should go where you want to go. College is about you preparing for your future, not about staying with high school friends. You will make new friends regardless of where you go, that is why you should go where you want to go. More important factors you should be considering are the cost of the school, quality of education, available majors that suit your interests, location, ect.

So, my best piece of advice would be to go where you can really see yourself being happy and successful. I wish us both the best of luck in picking our schools; it really is an exciting time.

#2 Equalist, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone was is also about to enter college himself I though that I might chime in.

It sounds to me like you really want to go to Southern, and will benefit the most from going there, but don't want to abandon your friend.

First off, if your friend is a true friend, I don't think he will go nuts over you going to another college. Second, if you plan on coming out in college and think that your friend is a major obstacle then I think that you should not go to the same college as him. Not being out and comfortable with being yourself in public will stunt your psycho-emotional growth (which is half of what college is about).

Ask your friend what he thinks you should do. Tell him (not us) that you are afraid of loosing your friendship if you go to a different college but you feel that the other college has more to offer you (or whatever the case may be). Ultimately the decision is yours. Personally I think that if your friend is a true friend he will want you to go to the college that will be of the most benefit to you as a person.

I wish good luck to both the OP and Equalist in your college endeavors!

#3 Byron, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend picking the college that will benefit you the most. By what you are saying it sounds like southern is the best option.

A big part of college is becoming independent, It is a lot easier to do this if you are on your own to do it. It will force you to make your own decisions and grow as a person. My close friends went to a local community college and I left for a college in the city. This was one of the best things I have ever done, I stayed friends with my friends from high school, but I also had to make friends at my new school. I feel like a more well rounded person now that I have worked through the college issues by myself.

5. aspiecarer

Purely on a business case --as a university lecturer-- I would say chose the college that has the best reputation and chance for employment when you finish your studies..

6. BudderMC

Regarding accreditation, I think it's important to remember that for the most part, wherever you graduate you're still going to end up with your bachelor's in whatever. That degree is the same from school to school. What the specific school affects is:

- if there's a specialized sort of program
    - if there are good employment opportunities (i.e. co-op)
    - if the school is ridiculously renowned (i.e. Harvard vs. some other American school I haven't heard of)
    - if the employer you're looking at happens to have graduated from the same school, you may get preferential treatment, but that's basically luck of the draw

That said, I don't think you should place too much emphasis on choosing a school for accreditation unless there's a massive difference between the two.

On the other hand, I picked my school for comfort level. You say you're 7 hours away from one of them, so this may not be an option, but see if you can attend an open house date and/or arrange a tour. I had my heart set on one school until I visited the campus, and it just felt really cold and uninviting. I visited my current school and felt right at home, despite the fact that I was scared to hell that I was going to be leaving home.

The university experience is about so much more than just academics. Like I said, your degree will be the same pretty much wherever you graduate, but your personal experiences, memories, and opportunities for growth will vary. I have tons of things that I think have made me grow as a person that will never show up on my resume or CV, and that's because I picked an environment where I was comfortable. It really allowed me to come out (no pun intended) of my shell and grow as a person.

Now, this is all coming from a super shy, self-proclaimed socially awkward homesick kid. I'm pretty damn social now and involved in lots of extracurriculars. The thing is, when you go to university EVERYONE is in the same boat you are, EVERYONE is nervous, and EVERYONE wants to make friends. You are not and will never be the only person feeling what you're feeling, so remember that. Similarly, I went to a school where I didn't know anyone else who was attending, and I now have the best friends I've ever had in my life. University has a larger pool of people than high school does, and it allows people to make friends with interests closer to your own. That's often why people say high school friendships don't last, but university ones are for life. Of course that varies a lot and is not to say you wouldn't stay friends with your friend, but I can guarantee you it isn't worth going somewhere just because he's going there. I have lots of friends who've done the same thing and regret it immensely.

That's just my opinion on the matter though. :slight_smile:

7. Don't go to a school just because your friend are. You need to do what you need to do and if that's break away, go to school near the forest and live out of the closet at school, then that's what YOU need. So do that. Get your independence and go to the the school you think is better.

8. newgirl31

FYI I "started over" with friends when I went off to college and also had no car the first year and it was fine. I am really shy with new people so I was worried but it is so easy to find friends in school..and being farther from home did help with independence...and limited those guilt-laden requests to come home every other weekend :wink:

9. photoguy93

I think Southern is your best choice. You seem to be picking between two lives - the life you want to maintain, and the one you want to have.

I think it's important to make your own decision. Don't go someplace where you can't be yourself. (Seriously - your "best friend" won't let you be out? So he doesn't know? That's not much of a best friend.)

If you're ready, and you know you are ready, then leave. You know when you're not. I wasn't. I'm still at home. I will eventually be ready. I'm just not comfortable doing the college thing. I'm waiting for a chance to get out and live my life - not the life of hundreds of other college guys.

That being said, go with what makes the most academic sense to you. If the northern choice has the best program, then go for it. You need the best program you can get. If you don't know yet, then consider what will make sense financially. If you are just going to go, then why spend a TON of money?

10. Your Pal DK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I didn't expect this great of a response! :icon_bigg
    I have taken taken into consideration price, the programs they have pertaining to major, and other specifics, I just thought I'd spare the details. They both have similar prices, the programs at Southern seem to better than those at Western by a little bit. A big thing for me is housing, they both have similar housing aside from the fact that some dorms at Southern share a toilet and sink with another room which is a major plus. The problem that arises is that I have a bit of a control issue and will want to color coordinate and make the room look nice and I don't want to have a roommate that prevents me from doing that.

I would say I am definitely more excited than nervous about meeting new people. Socializing comes easy to me so I am not worried about having difficulties making friends. It's just when I see my best friend my mindset completely changes and I feel as if I should go with him. That tends to happen whenever I am mad at him as well; I assume it is because I crush on him. I am not out to him because I am afraid of what his reaction will be. I am very excited about the possibility that I can just go to Southern and just straight out tell people I am gay if the question is asked; it will open way more opportunities for me. Not to say that if I go to Western I won't be out, my thought process was to come out to my friend before we went to college but I am worried I will just end up being too afraid to do it.

I do of course intend on visiting Carbondale before I make my decision; I do not plan to go out on a limb and choose it without making a visit to see if I feel comfortable there. I would just like that to be soon to avoid crappy housing and a poor class schedule. I have all ready visited Western and I really liked the campus aside from the town it is in and its closeness to home.

And good luck to everyone who is going to be attending University this fall.
    :eusa_danc Seniors 2013! :eusa_danc