1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that....?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by questionable, Feb 24, 2013.

1. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you guys believe about the saying that "As you grow older your personality mellows and you become the person you should be."

Let's say for example a guy is acting gay at the age of 14 but when he reached the age of (lets say like uhm... 24 like that...) he realises that he is not gay at all...

I'm asking this question because my mom told me about this thing I already outted to her about my sexuality.... And that's the thing she said to me...
    But I dunno if I should believe it maybe time would answer this question, but what about you guys what can you say? :icon_wink

2. DeanIsHome

I agree that as you grow older you be the person you should be because you grow wiser with you're experience however I don't think this is the case when it comes to sexuality, my mom say's the same thing "it's just a phase" I know it's not a phase because if it is then it's been a pretty damn long phase

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's completely full of shit.

4. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

What is "the person you should be?" I don't think anyone "should" be anything in particular. Given that you're 24, I don't think it's likely that you'll be turning into what your mom thinks you should be.

5. DeanIsHome

I didn't even think about that... Thanks for bringing that up, I feel very ignorant sometimes.

6. Tycho

Sure people can change, however I think it is kinda wrong to use that quote for sexuality as it does imply the phase thing. I sure did change over 10 years. My sexuality didn't though ;D

7. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely mellowed out a bit as I got older. I started to understand who I really am. Though, my sexuality hasn't changed. I've grown to understand more about the LGBT community.

9. photoguy93

You become the person you are going to be...when you become that person. I'm ever-changing. I think most people mature and "mellow" when they get older. It just happens that we stop "growing" in our twenties, and a lot of people have kids and get married. I don't think it's bad to say we change - but it has nothing to do with being "gay."

10. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't believe anyone "should" be anyone in particular. Your life experiences shape who you are. It sounds cliche, but even something as mundane as turning left when you should have turned right can make your life very different.

I think we continue to change as we grow older. There are some things that never change about who we are, but we can be very different from who we were even a couple years ago.

11. FemCasanova

*hugs*

You are not ignorant. It`s easier to see the situation clearly, when you`re not in it. And I am guessing what you mother said was a bit disappointing and upsetting.

I think sexuality can be a bit fluid, but if you like guys at a young age, it`s not going to just disappear. You might at some point feel you could be bisexual, but it depends, if the thought of being with a girl is unthinkable to you now, the chance of you actually being bisexual but now leaning more towards guys, is highly unlikely!

Your mother probably just need some time to adjust and accept the situation the way it is (*hug*) Sometimes parents need that. Take what she says with a pinch of salt!

12. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much for your response guys :grin:
    Well I guess I'll just have to be what I AM. :slight_smile:

And if that saying wouldn't change my sexuality well let it be.
    I think my parents just need to adjust and accept me for what I will be

P.S. I'm really just 14 years old....
    Not actually 24 I faked my age because I thought this community only accepts 18 and above.. Anyways, thanks once again :grin:

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was born Gay & no doubt I will die Gay, it's the pressures we face in life to conform & be straight that mess with our heads, we are expected to get married to a partner of the opposite sex & have children, giving our parents Grandchildren, thus carrying on the family line, I put my life on hold to live someone else's life, the signs were there that I was Gay, but I buried them deep below my Straight facade, every now & then they tried to surface until I decided to come out to myself & stop living a lie to please others, we are born Gay, society doesn't make us Gay, I don't think you just wake up one day & think "I'm not Gay anymore" it's more "I think I will I will stay in the Closet" therefore a choice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

14. Formality

It's true that your personality will develop as you grow older. But your sexuality will never change, it is something you are born with and it is no such thing as a phase and there is no outgrowing it, nor is there a cure for it. You need to speak to your mom about this. It is your mom that will have to change. Give her some time, eventually she will get used to it, and still love you for who you are.

PS. If anything, being in the closet is a setback to your personality because you can never truly express what you feel or who you are because you know people will judge you.

15. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't rule it out. My sexuality certainly developed up until my early 20s so effectively I feel differently towards each sex than when I was 16.

16. LoveMusicPoetry

Yes, I definitely agree with that. I used to be a raging ball of anger and aggression when I was younger, as I have got older I have mellowed out a lot. I think the whole sexuality realisation thing has had something to do with it though. Since I have come out to myself I have chilled out even more. It's just a shame I couldn't have realised it 15 years ago, I could have spared myself, my husband and my family a whole load of grief and heartache.

17. Your personality may change as you age but sexual orientation is pretty much set in stone.

18. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess your personality changes a lot. I mean, I'm a totally different person from when I was 17, and that's only a 2-year difference. But your sexuality? Not really. I guess as you grow older you'll realize who you really are, like that you are not actually straight as you "should" be. But personality wise? Yeah, you will change a lot. Sexuality? No... that's like saying the color of your skin will change in a few years.