1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sheldoncooper, Feb 25, 2013.

1. sheldoncooper

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys and gals, I was hoping to get some of your opinions on therapy. Has it helped any of you come to terms with your sexuality? I have a phone appointment in about 20 minutes and I'm pretty nervous. Honestly my hope for it is to help come to terms with my bisexuality as well as to help me determine where exactly I sit on the kinsey scale as I am very unsure. Also I have a lot of depression and anxiety issues so I suppose I have high hopes for therapy, am I being unrealistic or just optimistic?

2. B06SAJ1a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You'll have anxiety. It's natural to because you're about to go talk with someone whom you do not know about intimate matters. It's okay, though. See how the session goes. High hopes are also natural to have because we typically enter into therapy with the idea that this person's going to heal us (according to the agenda that we have today). It's over time that you'll know if you and the therapist are connecting or not. It's okay if you don't and it's also positive if you do. If you don't, continue to seek someone with whom you do connect. If they're good at what they do, you'll hopefully feel accepted and welcomed into the space. That's a good place to start. Good Luck and keep us posted!

3. Lewnatic

Therapy isn't always easy to go through, in the same context that some anti-depressants can actually make you feel worse.