1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get over him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lopez425, Feb 25, 2013.

1. lopez425

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Im a bisexual male in his late teens, my best mate is a few years younger than me. He has experimented with dudes when he was younger but he's obviously into girls. When I first met him I didn't like him at all. But the more we talked the more we grew fonder of each other. Eventually we started spending a lot of time together and one night he called me his best friend. That's important to me because in my past, when I have labeled friends like that, our friendship usually deteriorates. It was nice to have someone there for me. We have so much in common, we came to the conclusion that it's because we were both raised in a similar way. We both come from big families with the same morals and we are both considered the eldest child in the family. For a while I was perfectly content being his friend, but the more I got to know him I realized that we share the same views on many things. I kinda knew I was starting to develop feelings for him but I shrugged them off, considering i'm in a relationship with a really nice girl. But lately her and I have been fighting a lot and all of our fights stem down from the fact that we have different foundations. Anyways, I slept over one night and we were laying in his bed talking and he said something. He was just expressing his opinion about a certain topic and his opinion was the same as mine, but the funny thing was that not two hours ago I was having the same discussion with my GF but her point of view was completely different from ours. I think thats when I realized I wanted him more than just a friend. We have said 'I love you' to each other before, me more than him hahah. But thats okay because that's something he doesn't say easily. I do love him, I love his family and his family loves me. He hast told me that I could call him by his nickname that only his dad calls him. Sometimes, when we're spending the night just the two of us, he'll let me rub his back and touch his hair. He's admitted that he thinks that is a little weird but that he doesn't mind too much. He has also told me that he used to be homophobic up until we became friends. The other night we went to a party and got pretty drunk and I tried to kiss him. He moved away and I'm actually glad he did. It probably would have made our friendship a little tense. I asked him the next day why he moved away from my kiss, I already knew what the answer was gonna be but I asked him anyways. He said it would have shaken our friendship and that he is straight "simple." I was so heartbroken. I had never felt like that before and I thought I have had my heart broken before. It just kills me knowing that we don't have a chance together, yet there is a little voice inside me that tells me there is still hope. That the future is never clear. But I don't wanna fool myself. I should be thankful for the friendship I have with him, right? I tell myself that if I found someone like him already that I might find someone who could return those feelings someday. I don't want to lose him. We are pretty intimate with each other, as intimate as a straight guy can be with another dude. But is it normal that I want a deeper intimacy with him? I know I'm being selfish. I should be happy just to have the chance to know him so well. But there is a desire within me that wants more. and trust me, It's not just lust. I know that if I really wanted to stop having feelings for him I should completely cut my ties with him, but I definitely don't want that. So I'll keep persevering hoping that one day I will truly be content with just being friends. I told him that I had feelings for him. He took it good, but he stated that its never gonna happen. That broke my heart. I have never cried about anyone as much as I've cried for him. He still wants to be my friend and I appreciate that. But there is still a sliver of hope in my brain that keeps saying "Maybe one day..." I dont want to fool myself. Im just gonna try to be the best friend that I possibly can and hope that I can move on. Advice? Thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC.

Many many people have been in a similar situation. The only person who will ever know if this guy is gay or bisexual is him. And until he tells you that he is, you have to assume he isn't, and he never will be.

If you're looking to date another guy instead of your girlfriend, then you should probably dump your girlfriend and start looking for a boyfriend. If you're not prepared to do that, then could it be that this friend of yours is so attractive to you partly because a relationship with him would be so 'convenient'? You already see him a lot. You already sleep over at his house. Taking that relationship to the next level, if he was into it too, would clearly be great. You wouldn't need to come out to anyone else. Nobody would need to know. It could be a secret known only to you two.

But that's not to be. It might be necessary for you to put some space between you two. Sleep overs might not be appropriate...