1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 y/o dating a 37 y/o?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by adant, Feb 25, 2013.

1. adant

adant Guest

I'm a 20-year-old guy, and I've known this 37-year-old guy for about a year-and-a-half now. Never in a million years did I expect to fall for him (or for him to fall for me), but recently I opened up to him about my feelings and he admitted that he feels the same way. We both realize that there are some issues we'll have to work through, especially regarding to age (he's a quasi-celebrity because of his job and has a pretty public following, so we want to be cautious), but we're both committed to working through any difficulties thrown our way.

We're both on a pretty similar level, though of course in different stages of life. I'm very mature for my age, which isn't to say that I know everything, but I'm disciplined and smart, and I'm past the "partying" stage (actually, I never was too interested in it). Overall, when I'm with him, I don't even notice the age difference—it's just the two of us.

Because of his work, my being an introvert (and thus not having a ton of support anyhow), and the age gap, we've been very quiet about our relationship, keeping it essentially a secret. The few people I've talked to about it have seemed supportive, but I'm still a little scared of "coming out" with our relationship to everyone. It's difficult for me—we'll be cuddling/holding hands/etc in private, and then we have to be distant and pretend to be "just friends" in public. I know that's necessary right now, but that needs to start changing for a host of reasons.

Anyhow, all that to say, what would you say if I came to you and told you about us?

2. Minx

I wouldn't really mind (2 consenting adults) but I have a few friends with older boyfriends. I'm used to it.

Others might not be as quick to understand. :slight_smile:

3. 4ever Hearth

I would say I definitely understand your anxieties in regard to all you have expressed but mostly, i'd probably be jumping up and down then do alittle dance(a mix between the robot and the tootsie roll :roflmao: ) and congratulating you on having found someone. Then I would casually say "Well, sounds like you should just take a breathe and make sure you take this day by day. Keep up the communication since it is key period but, in this very situation, could be the defining factor between success and failure." And for the anxiety towards other's thoughts, I would say "Listen kid and listen well. Screw what everyone else thinks, I am fully aware that is easier said than done, but you found something that could possibly defy the ignorant sterotypes of this "Immature", "Prehistoric" society of our's. Dn't let it go because non-believers will scream "NAY!!!" :tantrum: because believe me, there are those who are akin to yourself screaming "YOU GO BOY!!!" and "Yeah!, Lets Give'em Something To Talk About!!!" (&&&) Basically, enjoy what you have found and please, pretty please dn't let any pricks who don't know their ass from their elbow steer you wrong. :smilewave

4. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't really care if you said that to me, because if you feel comfortable with YOUR relationship, that's all that matters. Of course that might be a shock to some, but... oh well, you have to be happy in your relationship and not think "what would other people think?" if he likes you and you like him even though there is the age gap... well, you go for it.

5. aeva

If you were a good friend of mine, I would have my concerns just as I do when all of my friends are seeing somebody new. I would warn you to be careful, to not do anything that puts the safety or wellbeing of either or you in jeopardy...and to enjoy it!!!