1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between love feelings and crush feelings?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Parsley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have never been in love, and I'm only just now having my first crush. I'm confused on how they're actually different.

The thing is, my crush feelings are so intense sometimes that I'm not sure how they could get stronger (not always that strong but they can be). Love is just a strong crush right? Or is it a completely different feeling? What does love feel like?

2. Ianthe

I think you kind of get into a slippery gray area of language. Some people would use the word "love" only when they feel they have a real bond with the other person.

But I really dislike the tendency people have to dismiss people's feelings as "just a crush." Romantic feelings can be very intense, even when they are unreciprocated.

3. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, Ianthe. That helped. :slight_smile:

Oh and that crush I thought was going away. I was wrong. I was very very wrong.

4. MerBear

i denied my feelings for my ex because people just said the feeling would pass and it was nothing really but something was different than my crushes...although i thought of scarlett every day just like my crush , i found something uproar from me that i never felt before....it was a intense feeling...and i couldn't describe it at all. it wasn't a crush....i couldn't put my finger on it so i assumed it would pass and i denied it was love for some time. i thought i could never be in love with someone online , like it was impossible and i still deny and maybe im just fooling myself into thinking its love when it could just some intense attachment to someone online although , this has never happened to me before. i use to never talk to anyone online....never but then i met her....and just something totally changed inside...me.

all i can say , its a intense feeling....you can't quite describe.

a crush....i would say...is different because ....its not exactly as life changing as love....
    love just is (thats a quote from a movie) but its true

a crush you can have a definition for ....it doesn't last that long...its more infatuation than anything

love just is. there's nothing that comes after it. it just is

#4 MerBear, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

A crush is not just diluted love, and love is not just a stronger version of a crush; they're different feelings. I think the essence of the difference is that with a crush, you get excited about the possibilities of what could be between you two, whereas with love, you get excited about what you actually have between you two.

6. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love for me is just that strong feeling that you'd do anything for the person you are in love with. And you care really much about the person, like... a really good friend or your mom. Like, my first love is my mom, I'd do anything for her. I hate when she's sad or mad at me.

Crush is like... something that can go away easily if you start discovering things from this person that you don't like and you wouldn't be with them. That's just for me, but crushes can grow into love, it's that phase that your heart races when she is near or when you just see her. But it's just that good, passionate feeling, not that you'd die for her, or something like that.

But that's just my opinion. And it's really abstract talking about these things haha.

7. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My perspective regarding this has much to do with the definitions of the different types of love, according to classic philosophy/mythology.

There are 3 types, in general, I will define them the best way I can:

Eros: I guess this one is the closest to "crush" love, also known as the erotic love; intense, by times obsessive and projective. You project qualities, some that you own yourself, and some that you would like to have, into that person. You see that person beyond its "Human" nature, everything is excessive. This love is said to be the erotic love between God's, which Humans pay an huge price for feeling. When you feel Eros, you generally feel jealous, which is characteristic of the possession feeling.

Philia: The "friendship" love. Unlike eros, this one is not destructive, possessive nor causes jealously. If you have a Philia for someone, you'll generally be happy if that person is happy too.

Agape: "Mother's love", the most powerful non-destructive kind of love. When you feel Agape, you are not possessive, and you'd sacrifice your own life for that person's happiness. Its no characteristic of lust, and you see the person in its true "Human" nature while acknowledging the God-like qualities in it.

In my view, you can feel more than one kind of love at the time for the same person.

Thats the best way I can describe "love", honestly : P

8. MerBear

i take that back.
    I don't deny my feelings at all as much as i use to. i barely deny my feelings....but
    im scared to admit my feelings.....i'm so use to denying things , i wish weren't true , like my sexuality.....i keep trying to deny but i know i'm not straight but its hard to admit.

i think its because , im worried if i told people that ....they would see it as a whole joke.
    i hate telling personal things to people for that very reason.

if i told people i love my ex ....they probably be like this on the outside :thumbsup: but on the inside like this :dry: or :grin:

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

For me Love is a lot of pure passionate emotion for someone I value as much as I possibly could anyone. While a "crush" is just a cute guy who stands out from the crowd or gets my attention in a way others don't. A crush is like a subject of interest which may or may not have real meaning to it. Love is when you're absolutely sure that person is the one you want spend the rest of your life with. I would tell someone that I love them with the intent of establishing them as a permanent and irreplaceable part of my life, while a crush is generally more of a short term type "fantasy" of mine that I usually don't even act on. Though some crushes (such as the boy I'm currently interested in: first gay crush I've had yet) do hold the potential to evolve into love over time given the right circumstances. That's just how I see it anyway

10. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The difference between crushing and loving is relatively simple to describe, but harder to accept.

When you're crushing on someone, the usual characteristic is that you are feeling attracted to who you imagine them to be. You don't know them well enough (or from the position of a partner, perhaps you know them as friends, but not as a candidate for their attraction) to really understand them or know who they are, so you build up an image of what you imagine them to be. This image usually has few negatives, you imagine the person to be perfect in every way without flaws.

The most reliable sign that you're just infatuated/crushing on someone, is that when a negative (or a keen difference between you) becomes obvious, suddenly you lose interest, or feel a horrible sense of confusion. This feeling of confusion is called "Cognitive Dissonance", that is, you've reached a confliction in your thoughts for them. On one hand, you have this image of them as being perfect for you, but yet you've just realized something that conflicts with that image. So you get stuck, you don't know whether you like them or not. It's a horrible, twisted feeling, that can make you get stuck in a loop, or just avoid them.

Love on the other hand is more realistic. You know they have flaws, or that they are different from you in some respects, yet you've been able to integrate that fact into your image of them. Love results when you hit that stage with a crush, and rather than break off your interest, you accept that they have flaws, or that they are different in some ways, and continue to care about them. Another key sign of love is that you truly care for them. You may feel like you care for a crush, but in the end, you really only want them to care about you in the same way. So if you truly love a person, you can accept the fact that they may not love you, and possibly love someone else, and accept that. That does not mean you have to be willing to always wait for the person, but that you can wish them well and hope they find happiness. With crushes, you want the person to yourself. The moment there is some indication they are interested in someone else, you will probably rapidly lose interest, become angry with them, or even hate them.

Relationships always start as crushes, and become love as you get to know the person better. However, it's difficult to objectively distinguish between the two when you're the one experiencing them, as they both feel equally as intense. You will long to be with the person equally, whether or not you're crushing or in love with them. The difference is that love is realistic, and that you truly care about them unconditionally, that you do not require them to feel the same. If your feelings for them require that they like you back (or that they possibly like you back), then you're infatuated. Though it is natural for love to fade with time, after finding they don't reciprocate, however, with a crush, usually the novelty disappears fairly quickly.