1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents hate me...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NeverMeetAgain, Feb 25, 2013.

1. NeverMeetAgain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm in college and just recently came out to my parents. To make it short, they told me I was a worthless, disgusting faggot and they didn't want anything to do with my life until I change. This was Saturday. I've talked to friends about it, but I'm still so lost in depression that I just don't know what to do. I've never thought about suicide, but now its seeming like my favorite option. Any advice? I'm scared.

2. LauraLove

LauraLove Guest

First off.(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*) Im so sorry that it didt go well with you coming out :frowning2: Trust me when i say this that IT GETS BETTER it really does. I would maybe perhaps find a Gay Councilor in ur area, they really helped me and they even have group ones that maybe you could somehow get your parents to. They may just be in shock right now and thats why they reacted badly. It gets alot better my friend, im sorry you have to go through all this :frowning2: (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

3. sheldoncooper

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    DON'T kill yourself. I've been down that road and I always realize how foolish my suicidal thoughts seemed once time has passed. Remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, it wont be like this forever.

Anyway now that my speech is over I'll say that you are who you are and there is NOTHING worthless about you. I'm in college too and my orientation has really crept up on me and it just makes me realize how natural it is and that you are who you are. Hopefully in time your parents can see that.

4. newgirl31

Welcome to EC! It will get better! Please don't do anything drastic. People here are great and you can find tons of support and experience!

If you are having suicidal thoughts this site might also help:
    Preventing Suicide Among LGBTQ Youth | The Trevor Project

You can chat online with them or call.

But EC is awesome and so many people have been where you are and it got better and will get better for you too!

(*hug*)(*hug*)

5. BornInTexas

First, I love you, and what your parents said was completely WRONG. Don't listen to them; Do NOT try and change who you are because you can't. It's nothing you can change.

Second, seeking help was a good first step on your way from coming from whatever depression you may be in. :slight_smile: I'm here for you when you want to talk.

Don't commit suicide. It may seem like a good option now, and it may seem like the right choice, but think about the feelings of your friends. They'll probably blame themselves because they noticed signs that you were doing something wrong or out of the ordinary. Bottom line: Don't do it.

Sometimes the family we are born with isn't the loving family we have to be associated with. Most of the time, it is the friends we make along the way that are family. :slight_smile:

Message me if you want to talk or vent. I'll listen.

(*hug*) You need one of these, but sadly, I am not there to give you one. I hope this cyber hug helps a little.

This is only a few options you can do to seek help. Read the posts above mine. They offer a lot more advice. :slight_smile:

#5 BornInTexas, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get your parents back by living a full and fruitful life. They have no right to call you worthless or any other name. I'm glad you have the strength to recognize the situation for what it is and not get totally destroyed by it. So sorry it went badly. :frowning2:

7. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (*hug*)(*hug*)I'm so sorry that you had such a negative reaction. It is their fault, and their loss, NOT YOURS.

This is quite probably the lowest you will ever feel in your life. You can make it through this, and that will show how much stronger you are than them. You'll have to learn to let go of them until they come to, if they ever do. Let yourself be sad, and go through the stages of loss. It's great that you have friends, and now us, to talk about it to. I know the phrase might seem so cliché by now, but it really does get better. It truly does. Just give it a bit of time. 99% of the time the parents will come to, but don't retreat back into the closet for their approval, or you will be left with an even worse feeling.

We're all here for you (*hug*)

8. Kat kanu

If they dont want you in there life make your life the best you can be happy fall in love. Just because they arent there doesnt mean someone else isnt we are all here and we will suport you no matter what. Welcom to the EC family!!!

( btw sorry for the spelling I cant really see right now )

9. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Please don't kill yourself. Everything gets so much better. Your parents will almost certainly come around and become more accepting. It may seem hard now but it won't always be that way.