1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I can't I know people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BornInTexas, Feb 25, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

Why can't I know people who act the same way as most of you do on this forum? I only know a couple people in real life who act like you guys, but everyone else is a complete jerk or an idiot babbling about nothing.

Highschool sucks.

2. newgirl31

It does suck but then college it gets better! Most kids in HS are in so much fear. Everything is on display there but if you can hangout outside of school usually they act more like themselves.

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

3. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Like newgirl said, college is much much better. I didn't share my struggles with my sexuality with anyone there, but in retrospect I wish I had because my friends from college are really the best and most supportive people I've ever known.

4. Formality

We don't have the same system in Sweden and I am really glad we don't. Here we go to "high school" from 7th to 9th grade, and from 10th to 12th grade we attend something called "gymnasium". And then 13th and up (depends on which program you choose and where) we have universities.

But anyways, I still feel the same way as you. I really don't like the gymnasium I go to since there are only merely 100 peeps on my school. And the village I live in only have around 300 citizens, out of which probably around 90% are old folks. I really don't like the people here either. There is literally no one here that is like me. And the fu**ing only thing people talk about is their god damn snow mobiles, hunting and soccer. I don't "like" neither of the three subjects, and not only are they so god damn boring, these people don't know real Swedish. Listening to their stupid dialect which they intentionally put on makes me boil inside. I'm just so tired of this and I can't wait to be free and just leave this place forever.

I wish I could just find some people who actually understand where I am coming from and who I actually enjoy spending time with. Seriously, how hard should it have to be?

But then again, our so called "high school" sucked even more. I constantly felt like I had to hide every inch of who I really was. When I got out of that place I was seriously destroyed. I had lost probably all but one of who I thought were my friends.

#4 Formality, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately there aren't many people like us especially in high school, where everyone seems to put on their mask to try to protect themselves from everyone else. I find that a lot of people, even in high school, really do have a side of them that's like us, but you just have to find a way to drill that deep past everything else.

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

High schoolers are pricks. High school is just a centre for them.
    I have to admit, I do like my high school though and I can relate to a lot of people but most of the student population are made up of downright idiots. I've only been able to be completely honest with my group of friends, but I hate wearing a shell or putting out this entirely different persona when I'm not around my posse.

I seriously can't wait for University/college. At least I can study subjects that I enjoy... and people seem much more tolerant and open compared to HS. And the University I'm going to has a huge LGBT student population, and well-known LGBT group. And a huge music program which I'm looking forward to. Plus I have friends who are in University whom are just wonderful and I can't wait to finally be in school with them. I just gotta make it one more year, though high school hasn't been that bad. Not enjoyable, but not hell on earth either. But I want better. I love people but I need to interact with people who understand me or at least share a shred of interest with myself. And be able to at least be open with my sexuality instead of this pseudo-heterosexual/oblivious game I've been playing.

It'll get better in time.

7. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of high-schoolers are still children at heart, and in the case of homosexuality, most haven't come out yet. Then there's the fact that a lot of colleges/universities have wayyyy more students. A high school usually has around 1-1.5 thousand students, whereas many colleges have upwards of 10-20 thousand students (though it varies depending on what kind of uni/college). Then there's the fact that of the entire high school, only about 250-350 people are in your grade. The amount of students at post-secondary gives you much more people to meet, especially since there's virtually no division in social circles based on years (well, except for freshmen, but even then, there's usually mixing between those groups) and hence a greater chance of meeting people like you.