1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A gay in Yemen, life of fear and pain.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Aedos, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aedos

Aedos Guest

This is what I know about myself:

I am a gay Muslim, living and studying in Yemen. As a child, my parents made sure that I had an easy and happy life since I am their only child, but that was not my deal. I was molested when I was 6 by several men and teenagers, when I became 13 one of my friends asked me if I want to have sex with him. It was a total shock for me because that happened after I moved with my family to a different city, was my homosexuality that obvious?! Well, I didn’t know that I am gay so, how could he?!!! Anyway, my friends and I had the same interests, we would hangout all the time in school and out. After my 15th birthday, I started having feelings towards one of my classmates, It was pure love, no sexual desires nothing except love. We became best friends, and I couldn’t hide my feelings from him. A year after, his family moved to another country so, to keep in touch with him; I began to explore the world wide web, it was fun to surf online and chat, but one day I got curious about chat rooms specially, gay chat rooms. I started chatting with lots of older men who were looking for sex with younger boys, but I didn’t meet anyone until my curiosity led me to it, it was my first time to have sex with a man. I had guilt and shame all over me because I made one of the biggest mistakes that a Muslim can do, I didn’t tell anyone about it. I was so ashamed, and I prayed to Allah to forgive me.

The next month, I began to notice cute men and I knew what’s being gay is like, I had all sorts of infatuation, but I couldn’t tell anyone about my homosexuality so every time I got horny, I would hook up with a random man online. The guilt started to fade away and the sex started to feel good, but the shame of being a Muslim who does that did not go away. I was so afraid that my parents would know that I am gay, and I still do; that’s why I kept my sexual activities hidden from everyone. However, I didn’t stop having sex with strangers, and it took me a while to know that I have an addictive personality. During those months, I got my gay radar on and I realized that all my best friends are gay, That was weird for me. Ironically, my lost love came back, I was 18 back then, happy and ready to reveal my truth to him, but I didn’t because all I saw in him was a homophobic guy who is not in love with me anymore. He broke my heart even without having to know that I am gay, and I spent months recovering from that, but I already had lost myself to the sexual gay world. My life got pretty messed up academically and socially, I was graduating from high school at the time, and I totally blew my dreams of getting a scholarship or even studying the major that I wanted. I still blame myself for losing my ambitions, but I found a way to stop my addiction. I stopped having sex for a while, and I started hanging with girls, dreaming to meet someone who would change me to a straight guy, but I never found one.

I began college and with it my infatuation to guys turned on, I actually moved to another city just to be away from all the gayness in my life, starting with my friends and hook ups, I thought maybe if I went to a place where no one knows me, I would have a clean straight new beginning. I was wrong because my life didn’t get any better. I am still struggling with my sexuality, and I still have a problem finding what I want. I am trying to be optimistic about the future, but it doesn’t look bright if I keep living in my home country. Having this secret side of me that I am trying to accept makes me feel like I am in a prison, I can’t wear what I want or brush my hair the way I like, I can’t be myself when I am with my friends or even with my family. It makes me feel tired and fake. I want to be free, I want to live a real happy honest life, I want to be in love, I want to be successful, I just want to be myself.

As I get older my addiction fades away, but the pain of living this straight life is growing. I have tried everything that could help me to get out of here, starting by corrosponding with LGBT organizations, and ending it by surfing gay dating websites. No one seems to be able to help me directly or indirectly.

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is for you. But it does seem that your only true opportunity to lead a happy life is to get out of the Middle East.

Is there any possibility at all that you could make a move to Europe or the United States? I have heard that some countries give asylum to gay people coming from countries where there is persecution, particularly Canada. This is something to look into. Have you done any research on this?

3. Aedos

Aedos Guest

Yes, I have done all kinds of research on asylum, but they only offer asylum to people inside the country, and they don't really think that Yemen is no gay zone!

4. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC. I'm glad you've found this site, and hopefully we can provide for you hear what you've not found anywhere else.

I can totally understand as well your struggle with trying to deal with your orientation, keeping it a secret, and acting on your desires in secret. I identify as a sex addict - and it was something that had a terrible affect on my life until I finally got some help. I hope that you can turn this around before it ruins your life as well. Write to me directly if you want to talk about this aspect of your life. As a 'staff member' here I can receive personal messages from new members like yourself.

Coming to terms with your orientation will be a challenge - it is for most people but I expect that it might be harder given the culture, religion, and part of the world that you live in. You've received a MUCH stronger negative message about homosexuality than I ever did growing up, yet I struggled to come to terms with it too.

All I can suggest is to keep hanging out here. Share how you're feeling and what you are thinking. And read the stories of others. You will see, as I did when I first joined, that there are all kinds of gay people, and that they live happy and healthy lives, and that my experiences with homosexuality weren't representative of the entire community.

Again - welcome!

5. Aedos

Aedos Guest

Thank you for your support and suggestion, I will try my best to not lose hope ... Thanx

6. Jun

Jun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know exactly what you're going through... I don't think I have enough time to explain every feeling... The only thing that keeps me going forward in life, is my dream to travel. Just seeing me on top of a mountain or relaxing near the beach in some country, keeps me alive.

7. Aedos

Aedos Guest

Indeed ... Hope is the greatest reason to keep living.
    Keep dreaming until you achieve that dream. My dream is to live somewhere I can be accepted, fall in love and be loved!

8. Jun

Jun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So do I. Hope we are able to in a couple of years... Let's hold on until then (*hug*)

9. aspiecarer

Hi Aedos,
    hang on in here and we can give you lots of moral support.You will be accepted here and hopefully see that being 'gay' is fine, not your fault, not your choice and that you shouldn't loose hope that things will get better

10. Aedos

Aedos Guest

Thank you, and I hope so!

11. Strong

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The story of struggle and addiction you wrote about has touched me. Stay strong as you go through this. I am sure you have a lot of opportunities that lay ahead of you. Follow your ambition and give yourself a second chance. No one will give you a chance to follow your dreams if you dont allow yourself that chance! It is not too late for anything.

You are born that way. You should not be ashamed. As a Muslim woman I understand the guilt and the shame associated with sexual behavior. Just know that you are ok, and that God will not penalize you for who you are. Sadly, however, the society will.

Please keep posting and stay strong!

12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Aedos !!

There are others on EC from your part of the world - Yemen, Saudi, Jordan etc and so I hope you can link up with some of them here and get support and friendship !!!

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The OP has deleted his account, so there's not much point in continuing to welcome him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.