1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For gays worried about telling folks

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CountessAbby, Mar 1, 2013.

1. CountessAbby

Just my opinion, mind you. My 16 year old son is gay. Some parents I believe would rather just not ever know the truth. Its too painful for them. Each child has to decide would it be better if they knew? But its really your journey, not THEIRS. This is about YOU and not THEM. They should not make it about "them'' and I am sure they will accept what come down the pipe. At least you arent in prison for murder and you arent dying of cancer. Really? So many much more worse things a parent could have happen with their child. I work in medical. I see teens killed in car wrecks, suicides, drownings. Teens on drugs, teens killing, teens in gangs. If having a different gender selection then they "expected you to" is that big of a deal they need to spend a few weekends in their local ER.

2. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are a wonderful mother. I envy your son :slight_smile:.

3. CountessAbby

Thanks but I am no hero. I just cannot make his journey about me. I am a very Unselfish person and that is probably what makes this easier for me. Its still a struggle but all parents have those. I got to pick MY partner. Why on earth shouldnt my kids pick theirs? To me its the easiest answer in the world. We need to pick our battles as parents and I am not picking this one.

#3 CountessAbby, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. Klutz

Thank you for posting this. It really means a lot to me when I see things like this.

5. Phoenixaaa

Thanks for posting this!
    More people need to know that coming out isn't mandatory in every situation. Unfortunately, I made the wrong choice and found out there is such a thing as conditional love...

6. CountessAbby

You know your parents better then anyone. You have lived with them for probably 20 years. If you think they can't handle it? Why upset their little teacart? What good would it do? It doesnt affect their life. On the other hand if you dont want to hide it or you are unable to then you can say your piece and deal with the consequences. I really think its up to each person based on their personal situation. Do parents HAVE to know? If you live in another town or state? Do you feel compelled to bring your partner to family things..? Sometimes you cannot or will not hide it. I think its always an option.