1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life as I know it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tired_of_lying411

Well Its been a little while since I last posted here and I really need to get some stuff out, so here I go.

My dad.
    I've been needing to come out to my dad for ages now, and I just CANT! I know he knows, theres no way he couldn't know. I guess it's just that this will complete my whole family knowing I'm gay. My mom, brother and sometime, my father.
    Coming out to him means Im done hiding at home FOREVER. The "She's a hottie, right son?" comments will stop and I'll officially be the gay son. And truth be told, that scares the hell out of me, even though I fully accept myself. It's such a small step, but such a big change. The secrets will be over in my house. It forces me to face that fact that I have lied and made others lie. A lot. it forces me to face the fact that I trust my mom and brother more than my father... by about a year. He'll probably be crushed simply by the fact that i never told him when I did tell my mom and brother. he was left out by ME.
    despite all this, I just really need to do it, this Christmas, I want to end the lies and just deal with whatever happens because of it.

Perhaps the most scary of all is the fact that I could march upstairs right now and just get it over with. All this could be over If only I had the courage.

god, this is really fucking hard.. knowing how simple it all is but not being able to just fix it.

I have more but I'm gonna have to cut myself off now before this rant gets too big..:icon_sad:

2. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Hey, that's why ec exists: so we can all rant and bitch and moan for hours and no one will stop us...most of my "official" rants are longer than most papers I've written.

As for your dad, it's good to set a goal like Christmas for yourself. But is Christmas/the holidays generally a stressful time for your family? Because if it is I'd recommend doing it sooner (or later, if you don't want to do it right away). Plus, the longer you wait, the harder it becomes for both of you (clearly). I think that this situation might also call for a letter, so you can say things that are hard to articulate and really work on what you want to say and how to best get your points across. And, with a letter, you could also tell him that you're gay in person, if you feel that that's something that you need to do, and then leave him with the letter and ask if you can talk after he's read it.

Though you don't have to listen to anything that I've said since I haven't even come out to my mom yet (though for a second writing this I definitely thought I did...weird...) let alone my dad, so if this doesn't seem to make any sense, then it probably does it.

Good luck with this! (*hug*)

3. tired_of_lying411

Thanks so much!(*hug*)
    I like the letter idea.. I hadn't really thought of it before for me... I don't know if I would feel dumber by writing it all down and making a big deal or dumber by telling him in person, him saying he knew all along and then it getting awkward...

The holidays are a really stress free time for us I would say, and my brother now lives on the other side of the country, so things will be pretty private (I know, I've already told him.. but at least he wont have to be there to see it all..)

But yeah.. I'm feeling really good about telling him, letting it slosh around in my throat, getting used to it. but I know in the end it will be pulling the trigger that will give me problems.. making the letter seem like a better option... But i dunno.. with me.. a letter just seems so "6th grade girls passing notes"... no offense to anyone, Ive even suggested it to others.. but yeah, I just don't think it's gonna be for me.

Lastly I have a sort of confession.

When I came out (if you could call it that) to my mom, it wasn't actually me who initiated it. It was her. She apparently wanted to see what i was up to in my sketchbook that was hidden under my night table :eusa_doh: I think she went looking for evidence and she thinks I planted it so I'd make her ask...

But the point is that, while I was glad that she did get it out of me (it really reeled me in off the edge of something I will never know) but because she did the asking and all I had to say was yes, and because all I've used to come out until now is msn (I know.. COWARD) Im left having told like 5 people, without ever telling someone the words "I am gay".

bummer.

so yeah. he'll be my first.

4. step49x

I know what you mean when you say that the action is so easy to do (just walk up and tell him), but actually doing it seems impossible (it took me months to actually come out to my best friend, i'll go and write about that after i get through a few other topics).

If nothing else, EC is a great place for ranting. I've also had my fair share of rants here (and i don't usually cut myself off, either..).

5. LorenzG1950

Hi Brenton,

Be proud of the fact that you're making progress in that you've set a goal for yourself. I tend to think that a few days before the holidays is better than directly on a holiday. That allows some time for the dust to settle if it turns into an emotional event and for you to return to planet earth. By the way, quit accusing yourself of having lied to anyone, including your dad. It takes some people decades to find the truth (myself included :icon_redf ) and some never do at all. You’re doing pretty good to find and share the truth at 16.

The letter idea worked very well for me, since my relatives are in the states. But the letter mainly helped me to focus my thoughts and speak honestly about my feelings. I also shared the letter with a few close friends and the results were remarkably positive. It also opened the door to a relationship with a guy I really love:slight_smile: .

It’s been such a relief to be out to my family and friends. All that’s missing is my boss and that will happen when the next opportunity presents itself. Via private mail, I sent a copy of the letter I used. It might give you some ideas.

Good luck! You’re almost there.

6. tired_of_lying411

Thanks again, Lorenz..

Im really starting to think that when it comes to by accepting myself as gay when Im with other people .. I kind of dont.

I feel awkward to act gay in front of people.. like theres 2 of me. a gay one and a well the one I am now to everyone. and the gay one is really shy. To the point of it being a mental disease or something...

But I really need to get my dad to stop with the "Shes so hot, isn't she!" comments, because all I want to say is "Sure, shes a beautiful woman but she could really use some moose and that skirt makes her hips look wider than they are."

So yeah, I think we're into a bigger issue here, and quite honestly I dont think its the fact that it's my dad thats the problem here... I think its me.

Perhaps I can start being gay with my best friend when were alone. I think I have to get more comfortable with myself so i can start hating hiding it so I'll be able to come out to my dad..

i think im gonna be in for a long haul with this one...

7. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well we are here with you Tired. I think starting with a single friend to act gay with is a great idea. If you really need to express that other side of yourself, it's easiest to do it around people you have already come out to because change probably wouldn't surprise them. If you manage to build up from there, people you havn't come out to asking why you are acting so gay is simple, hand-fed opportunity to come out to someone.

Also, the more you socially learn who you are, the more you'll be able to accept yourself and feel comfortable acting however you feel in front of whomever you want.

Just one more tip: girls love guys who are/act gay. so if some of your best friends are girls, thats a great place to start.

8. kevinx519

yeah i know what youre talking about, tired. i get the same comments from the guys in my family, and it sucks so much that i have to lie to them. id say that talking to your dad about this during christmas could be a big risk. it could potentially bring your family closer together because there are no more secrets to hide (or are there? *winks*). but then again the results could also be catastrophic. i dont really know your father...ok i dont know your father at all, but if he's understanding and open to new things i dont see the harm in it. but then again what do i know? haha. and yeah i know what you mean by putting up a different front as i have to do it everyday of my life. i cant begin to count the times my guy friends have chatted about girls and me having to lie about her being hot or her having a nice ass etc...etc.. but i hope that i can break out of that shell later on in my life. but i guess overall you should be who you are. people will either hate you or love you for who you are and theres really nothign you can do to change it. i guess what im tryign to say is your dad has known you ever since you were born. i doubt hed throw all those priceless years you two have spent together just because youre gay. boy this is very long. i need to learn how to say things with less words.

9. GuitarGirl1350

My advice is not to do it on christmas if your parents are conservative and will care. My friend did that and it was catastrophic. Wait a bit.

10. tired_of_lying411

like I say, my parents are really great (my mom already is and my dad I'm sure will be) I have no plan on telling him Christmas eve or anything, just need to tell him soon. And almost ALL my friends are girls... they really do love us:icon_smil

So yeah... I guess its all about time now. Im going to town tomorrow with the friend I mentioned that I wanted to act gayer around... so that will be a nice start.

Thanks for all the feedback.(*hug*)

11. Half-Light

Friends can be so understanding...I told my couzin(who's my best friend) that I was gay and all she did was laugh..lol! She knew it all along and she was so understanding. Then I told my other friend and she just flooded me with questions..lol. I have been acting more like my self (my gay self) around school and stuff..and people seem to like me better that way. So coming out could be a wonderful thing and friends is a great place to start. I am not to sure about the whole parent thing though. My parents are split up and strictly Christian...and so against gay ppl...as mostly all in my town. But yes telling friends is a great place to start coming out.

12. tired_of_lying411

lol... Split up and strictly Christian... Perhaps this means they are flexible when the situation calls for it??

Anyway... Im pretty sure I will be able to get away with not coming out to many more people than need to know at school. Its just really not my thing. My ultimate goal is to have the people who need to know, know; and just BE GAY when university starts. If they ask I tell the truth. If I need to say "He's hot" then I will, and if they ask about a girlfriend, Ill say no, no boyfriend yet... (or maybe yes, I have a boyfriend :icon_bigg ) so yeah, thats the plan.

13. zbgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    when my sister told my parents my mom was freeking out for like two weeks after but now shes fine(except if you say the word gay around her she goes kind of white and changes the subject). try and gage how your dad will react and tell he accordingly my sister told my partents right after a vacation so that they where a little more relaxed

14. tired_of_lying411

Yeah, like I've said before.. I know he knows.. theres no way he couldn't. And he seems to be fine with it. I really feel that the "She's hot, isn't she son?" comments are his way of giving me an opportunity to come out.

But yeah... I feel better to know that I'm not just being stubborn, I know I need to start accepting my gay self around other people. I need to get comfortable with myself as a gay person.

This place, like always, has made everything better.:icon_smil