1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some people I know...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Alexander

There's some guys who are in my church youth group who show signs of being gay or bi (I know, I know, we're not supposed to look for signs, but I swear I'm not, there's just certain things that a guy notices). I don't have a crush on any of them or anything like that. None of them are my type at all. I just want to help other people through what I'm going through. Problem is, there's no real way to address homosexuality or even to put up a notice on a bulletin board (our boards are covered with pics right now from our outreach programs).

Another issue is that although our community isn't homophobic as a whole (we're definitely one of the more liberal catholic churches), teens are teens, submitting to the peer pressure of the group, so if there's anyone else who's gay in our youth group, nobody knows about them or me. The only way I can see that I could reach out to the possibly large percentage of GLBT teens in the youth group is coming out, which I don't want to do at this time for various reasons. Any thoughts on how I can get something out there?

I've already considered bringing up a different meeting style to the weekly gatherings, where we center around a political or moral issue, instead of the current freestyle meeting plans.

2. pirateninja

Hmmm.... I'd probably throw in a casual mention of maybe some more gay related themes, though maybe not specifically referencing homosexuality if you want to stay closeted. Then you could let the conversation take its course.

Maybe (if possible) a small thing on your bulletin board, you said there was no room but could you possibly get on a small piece of paper with maybe the gay and lesbian switchboard number?

3. Several

Some guys in the class in junior high also shows signs of being homo. They still do. The things is that they have girlfriends, but yet they still feel each other up or squeeze each others bums just for fun. Those sort of things confuse me. ...and they do this in public (at school).

4. Alexander

hehe
    when I said the board was covered with pics, I meant that they're the only thing on it :grin:

Putting up a big "Gay is OK, counseling here free, 24/7!" sign wouldn't go over well :slight_smile:

5. Alexander

Here's my ideas... I want to make a 1/2 page notice thing that will have links to EC, DignityUSA, the local sex clinic's phone number (why have I not been there yet), and both the GLBT hotline and the local youth assistance numbers. Anything else that you think I should include?

I also will be bringing up a concern that we're not getting into modern social issues in the group discussion -> usually we bring in teen speakers or adults to share their experiences with an issue to provoke discussion etc...

any other ideas pleeeeeeease?

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think those are great ideas actually! I think its great you are wanting to introduce this topic to your church group!

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great ideas!! :grin: