1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as an asexual.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TurtleRage, Mar 3, 2013.

1. TurtleRage

So I recently came out as an asexual to my mom. She sort of looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about. I asked her if she accepted me for who I am and she said, "Well, yea, I guess.". I felt really hurt by her "response", if you can even call that a response. I felt like a freak, and I still do when I'm around her. She doesn't even want to talk about it every time I try to bring it up. It's like she's trying to tune me out or something. I like guys romantically, but I don't desire sex from them. The other day, we took our lunch break together. (We work down the road from each other.) We were in her car and I brought the topic up, trying to explain it to her. She cut me off and said, "So, like, you're a transsexual?" :dry: I tried to get her to watch a video about an asexual man so maybe she could understand it a little better, but she didn't seem too interested. I just want to run up to her and say, "So, what is it, Mom? Do you want me to be a "normal" female and crave for all these steamy, hot men to fuck my brains out?" I honestly don't see how she could care if I enjoy sex or not. Does she want me to enjoy it? Maybe she's just afraid I'll never get married. She said, "Well, be prepared to never have a husband, because men want sex." Again, I was very hurt by yet another comment. One day she said, "You should just become a nun." It's like this whole think is a joke to her. I don't know what else to do. I want, so badly, to be close to her. I'm so close to giving up having a relationship with her. I'm actually exhausted from trying all the time. I've been fighting for her love all my life, but I feel like I'm just a stranger. What else can I do to make her understand and accept me? (She's my mother, and I love her. So please, no rude comments.)

2. Minx

Well, I think you should take a break from trying to explain it all the time.

It doesn't sound like she's processing it. :3

She might never "get it." Even those closest to me still don't understand. They might not for a very long time, and it takes some time to adjust that it just won't make any sense to some people. :slight_smile:

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alot of people may not understand the concept of asexuality, but it hurts when those we care about don't take our coming out seriously.

Hopefully your mom will in time accept that this is a genuine sexual orientation.

4. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly think she needs to process it and understand. Just be patient with her.

5. Yamato

I think if you leave it a while and then come back to it later it may help. She may just think it is a phase or something so not take it seriously now but if you give her time she might come to understand it better and may even try to find out about it herself.