1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first person you told?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LadyDaae, Mar 4, 2013.

1. LadyDaae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi guys. I started this because I need to put something in perspective, I guess. When you realized you were what you were, who did you come out to first?

The reason I'm wondering is because besides people at the LGBT youth center in my town, no one knows about me. So I was thinking of telling my best guy friend who might be a little more open minded than most of the people I know.... I just feel like I need to tell SOMEONE because it's getting harder and harder to hide, you know? Gah.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person I told was my friend Mary. I was 14 and a freshman in High School. I remember we were walking in the lunchroom and I said, "Hey Mary, I'm bisexual." She said, "Oh, you are? That's cool." She's bisexual, so that made it so easy to tell her. But no one knows I'm actually 98% lesbian except for my sister. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Then after that, it became so easy to tell other people.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've kinda been out to my best friend my whole entire life considering that we act like an old lesbian couple with our bickering, and the ability to finish each other's sentences. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But she's pansexual.. I've never had to tell her about me being gay or anything, she just knew. Since we talk about girls 'n stuff.

I "officially" first came out to my mum's friend, whom is my mentor. And I announced it back when I was in year 8.. so around 4 years ago. As bisexual, but preference for ladies. Haha. She's bisexual too, though, so that's why I felt comfortable telling her. Plus she's a licensed psychotherapist, so I knew she wouldn't act odd about it at all. She was a huge help in my life for many, many years. I could never repay that woman back for all she's done for me. :slight_smile:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My old college roommate. The year after we roomed together. And I came out in a clumsy attempt to get into his pants. (He was already out.) It didn't work. Well, I eventually got into his pants, but that was years later. After being turned down, I told my best friend about it, so I guess he was the second person I told.

Lex

5. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine I had met at a camp who was out. Hes not one of my closest friends, but he was able to help me get to the point where I was ready to tell those close to me.

6. TheUglyBarnacle

...Take out the pansexual bit and that's me and my best friend right there. I guess we don't talk about girls often enough for her to catch on...

As far as my first coming out is concerned, it was my cousins. One of them asked me if I wanted to become a lesbian (XD) after a closer examination of my clothes and discovering a couple of pics of cute butch chicks on my phone. I explained to her that you can't "become a lesbian". She asked me if I'd ever date a girl and I replied that I would if she were interesting since I'm young enough to experiment. Not really a coming out story but quite the statement considering that there were another three cousins of mine in the room and all of them were initially pretty fucking shocked.

7. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My old therapist...

8. forgetregret8

I was actually questioning for a long time and three years ago I was like "you know what, I must be a lesbian, that's the only answer to this problem" and then I texted my friend because I wasn't sure what to do (my best friend, one that I had met at camp three years before and had been very very very close with from then on, and even now!) and told her "I'm gay but I don't knwo what to do" and then went on from there, I don't really remember. We had a long conversation and then I never told anyone else, and then I cracked again a year later and said "You know what, I think I'm bisexual" and then we had another long conversation and then I never mentioned it again. Now, two years later, I had finally really, honestly accepted who I was (am) and told another one of my really really really close friends that I had known for the same amount of time and had met at camp a month ago, and now I'm figuring out how to tell everyone else. So, technically the first person that knew I was confused was my friend Noodles (it's something else but at camp we call her Noodles) but the first person I legitimately told with the intention of actually telling other people later was my friend Emily.
    The reason I first told Noodles was because she had been able to get me out of every problem I had had until that point, but the reason I told Emily a month ago was because in those two years between me saying I was bisexual (not true) and me coming out to myself was because Emily's best friend from home had come out as a lesbian and I knew she had experience in the 'best friend being a lesbian' department.

9. Clowstar

My friend, Kelly. She came out to me as a lesbian a few months before. She kinda coaxed it out of me. I was telling a story and she picked up on a phrase I used (completely unrelated to sexual orientation by the way) and asked me. I was questioning at this point and pulled her aside before the next class period (which we also had together) and told her.
    It was months before I told anyone else.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person that I told was my best friend Katie. I told her because of a facebook argument between me and my former youth leader/second cousin. I told her that the reason that I got into the argument was because I was bi (which was what I identified as at the time.) I really didn't mean to come out to her. I'm pretty sure that I started to cry in the middle of a pep-band game for basketball...

I didn't tell anybody else until I joined here. I then told all of you guys!

11. Niko

The first person I ever told that I was trans* was one of my online friends. He too was trying to figure some things out and we both kind of came out together. xD

But since that was too easy, I guess it was one of my guy friends I met at school. I was going through a rough time, being I was very deep in the closet, I really just needed to tell someone. Sooo I told him over text, and he took it really well. We talked about it till 2 AM and when I saw him at school he treated me no differently. It was pretty nice.

12. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've not yet told anybody that I'm gay except here on EC and when I went to the meeting of the QueerCampus student group last week. But to me this doesn't really count.
    I want to tell my brother first, since he is also my best friend, I'm pretty sure he will be accepting and I hope he can help me telling my parents. Unfortunatly so far I haven't got the guts to tell him, I always chickend out before coming to the point.

13. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never acted straight or told people I was or anything. When I was 13 my mom asked me if I was gay and I told her yes. I dont think she was suprised. So she is the first person id ever said the words "i am gay" to, but I think she and my family already knew.

14. beccs

beccs Guest

One of my close friends. I just sort of blurted it out when we were texting one night last year. But, I had know for a while before that.

15. DeanIsHome

The first person i told was my friend Katie who could not believe i was gay at all, i had to show her me being on EC for her to believe me!

16. MixedNutz

Told a longtime friend who was also in the closet. We both thought we knew about each other but never spoke about it.

17. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my best friend. I knew he would be accepting. Best decision I ever made.

18. LailaForbidden

My cousin. She was far enough away so I knew she couldn't tell anyone, but close enough emotionally where I knew I could trust her. I was a jumbled mess back then. I really wish I would've waited until I had accepted myself. But hindsight is always 20/20 right?

19. amm1015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first person I spoke to about my sexuality was one of my friends that I actually had only known for a few months. She had just told me that she is bisexual, and that made it a lot easier to talk to her. We talked for a while about my confusion and we have become much closer since. My best recommendation is to talk to someone that you either know is going through something similar to what you are feeling or someone that you feel confident loves you unconditionally.

20. some nights

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oddly enough, my ex-boyfriend. lol. we had been together for 4 years and then somehow (i say it like i don't know what/who finally made me "get it") it hit me and I broke things off and a year later we're best friends again and he is super cool about it all. And an excellent secret keeper as I have been working through everything!!