1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the right time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PM92, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok so Hi Guys!

This is my dilemma. I am finally ready to come out to my parents but I'm not sure if its the right moment to as they are more or less focusing on my sister. Not because of favouritism or anything but because she is in her final year of college and suffers extreme anxiety, to the point where she has lost a lot of weight, through vomming *ewww* and I mean a lost.... Borderline underweight. They are naturally concerned about her. So should I bite my tongue a few more weeks until her exams are over or should I just get it out of the way now? :help: Need some advice here, not trying to purposefully use one of the smilies but I'm banging my head off a brick wall here... :bang:

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think it may be an issue for your parents to accept. I would consider waiting. You don't want to add anything extra on to your parents plates at this time.

But if you think they will be accepting no matter what, then it wouldn't really matter if you came out at this point in time.

3. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that they will have a problem with it as they have always been accepting of everyone, but with what they have to deal with at the moment I don't want to blow the ground from under them if you know what I mean. All I really want is a bit of clarity??

4. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think it would be in their best interest and you're not "clawing at the closet door" than wait until your sisters exams are over.

But if you feel you need to be out now, and they will be accepting then it should be fine to tell them.

5. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok speaking of coming out. I have this straight friend (who knows I'm gay) and when I brought up the idea of coming out to my parents he basically said why bother? It's not like straight people need to tell their parents that they are straight... Now I kinda feel like there is a double standard here but I just wanted to bring it up in case I am being a hypocrite. Would it shock them more if I told them? Or just started seeing a guy like it was no big deal?

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the day when LGBT people are truly accepted LGBT people won't have to "come out" but at the moment its probably better to tell them your gay as it will be less of a shock than them finding you with a boyfriend.

7. Lewis

It's the right time when you feel it is, not when it's right for them. This isn't their burden, it's yours. If you are ready, tell them now.

8. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am contemplating this as a solution to telling my dad. It would definitely shock them more, but as you said you don't think they would care.

9. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bit the bullet and did it :slight_smile: they took it really well!!! :slight_smile: Mam told me to avoid telling my sister until after her exams though. It might not be wise to distract her at the moment. But at least I can move on with my life now. Also can start telling some more people too! :slight_smile:

10. Ianthe

Congratulations! I'm so glad it went well!

11. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good On Ya Bro...

must be good to have a burden off your shoulder huh?

12. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can finally relax now... I was anxious for so long about it. Not used to not having anything to be anxious about haha :eusa_danc Now to get back to living again! Onwards!! :thewave:

13. therunawaybff

If you're not desperate to be out, I would wait. Sounds like your parents have their plate full, and you might not get the optimal reaction than if you'd waited to come out to them at a time when they are under a little bit less stress than they are now.

EDIT: Derp, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

#13 therunawaybff, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am glad that you told your parents. I do think it would be wise to wait on your sister. I mean as soon as her exams are over and passed then share it with her. I mean, shes your sister so she has the right to know of course.