1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my grand ma advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ZanedaKitty, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My grand ma is an odd case since I know she won't care much since she already went through the stages of grief with one grand son who is bi, but I'm so nervous of coming out to her. I've tried subtle hints and even less subtle ones of "I've had a crush on a guy before." and yet she still asks why I hang around gay people. A few weeks ago I joined a local gay church in the evening, and she doesn't know why I went. I wanted to meet new people, and see if sexuality and faith really mattered to each other, where the answer is meh.

I just don't know how to make her see that who I like doesn't matter, or how to discuss it in the first place. She's so hostile and lack of understanding. She is a very learned person who doesn't want to learn. To her sexuality and gender are very binary whihc is why this is so hard since part of me expects more from her as a person. She says often her and I are alike, but we are alike as two second born children of the same family, beyond that, after you go far enough we branch in very different ways.

I want her understand, yes I like men, yes it is who I am, it is not family issues, not parental abandonment or anything like that. I want her to see me, and I want to help her through the process of the stages of grief she'll most likely feel.

Last part, I'm the "Straight-Gay" type of person, who basically doesn't act like a sexuality so everyone thinks straight. Which has been why bringing up sexuality has been hard. Though I've never hidden my gay rights atavistic nature, I've denied my sexuality to her for yeas, and I'm done lying.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just wrote an exceptionally long rant in this window that oddly had very little to do with your problem. But it got it out of my system, so I thank you for that. :slight_smile:

A lot of people are stubborn or close-minded because they can be. It's funny how often people will not tell them something, or dance around things, or be extra-accommodating just to avoid making them upset. You know where you stand. So feel free to tell her. And if she has any issue with it - if she doesn't "get" it, if she thinks you're lying or making it up, if she thinks it means you want to be a girl - you don't have to argue with her. You can just say "I'm the same guy I was - I just dig guys" and leave it at that.

Lex