1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stopping myself from backing out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayforGuys, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GayforGuys

Hey there, now, the short story is me and my friends are all going out later this week and that's when I'm gonna come out to everyone that I'm Gay.
    I'm not sure how to stop myself from backing out, as I have done with past 'attempted' coming out to friends.

I'm currently out to my close friend, who is Gay and out to our friends, they're completely fine with it, with the odd joke here and there, in good humor of course. I'm also out to another pretty close friend of mine, both of them are completely accepting. There are a lot of reasons I've been delaying telling everyone. First of I haven't been 100% comfortable with being Homosexual, as much as I told myself I was. It bothered me a lot, but I did my research, a whole lot of thinking, which eventually lead to me being completely happy and accepting of my sexuality. Hell - I was happy about it, kind of like having something you're not supposed to, I like being different to the norm I guess!
    Secondly, I had no idea how my friends would react, that was until my friend, the one I mentioned at the start, came out out to our friends. I quietly observed their reactions, how they felt about it, and just how they reacted in general. In short, they didn't give a shit! In the best way possible of course, as if he told them he liked butter instead of margarine.

So here I am, waiting. I'm actually pretty excited as weird as that may sound. It's not exactly something you get to do everyday, or something that everyone gets to do. Well, I guess they could, "Hey, I have something to tell you dude.....I'm straight" :eek:
    But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to what to actually say. I came out to my fried, the first one who is Gay, with something like "Dude, uhhh, I think I'm Gay" :icon_redf
    And lastly, how do I stir the conversation that way? I don't know of a logical way to go from talking about Megadeth to sexuality. hahaha!

I'm probably over thinking everything, but that's what I always do, I over think and ultimately back out all together. But I'd rather know what to do and say, rather than have no clue, and mess up.

So I guess my main questions are;

(1) How do you swing the conservation in a way that I can come out, keeping in mind it would be a one to one basis, I think telling everyone is a group is a little less...intimate? I mean it is my closer friends. (*hug*)

(2) How would I stop myself from backing out!!! There have been numerous opportunities for me to come out, but I backed out and stopped myself from doing so completely.

I genuinely appreciate any advice you guys have to offer! x

#1 GayforGuys, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Actually, me liking Megadeth and stuff was one of the reasons I didn't think I could be gay."

...you literally can tie anything into it if you want. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Valeyard

I think that you could get away with either method. If it's one on one, or in a group, it's still big news for all, once they hear it. Just wait for an even sort of quiet moment, say you have news, and come out. That simple, in practice anyway. To get yourself to actually want to say it, I think you should just gird yourself and say it. Ignore that little block that's preventing you and just go.

4. BudderMC

Just a suggestion re: getting more comfortable with it... stop capitalizing the words "gay" and "homosexual". To me, it makes it sound like some sort of ailment or condition or otherwise overly formal descriptor.

I'm gay. BFD. I treat it like it's rather common knowledge, so that's how I refer to it. Maybe the less of a "big deal" you actively try and make it, the more you'll believe it. :slight_smile:

5. GayforGuys

Thanks man, capitalizing gay/homosexual was more of a habit, than anything else haha.

I doubt it's a surprise to them, once i's done it's done! :slight_smile: