1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've Found Myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hobbit161, Mar 6, 2013.

1. hobbit161

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm male, I've realised that's who I am inside.

Just told my two best friends, first reaction was "Whoop! Fantastic! Well done!" Love them dearly :'D

Now, family :/ I hate keeping secrets from them. My sister knows I'm considering it, but she's ignoring it really. How do I tell them though? I was thinking saying something about changing my name to a male one...? I mean, saying the specific name (which I wont say here because it's unusual) but yeah... That doesn't really sound clear to me though :/ What do you all think :/

2. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thrilled for you that you've acknowledged yourself and are comfortable with it. It's fantastic that your best friends are by your side too.

You've totally piqued my curiosity with your name though. My name's quite uncommon in the UK too. Never met anybody here with it yet but I know there are somewhere.

I think with a topic like this, it might help if we have a little bit of background on your parent's behaviours or viewpoints in general as well as your age. Just makes the advice you receive tailored to you.:slight_smile:

3. hobbit161

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't even know if it's a real name, to be honest.

My parents are very-gay friendly, and one of my Mum's close friends is a trans woman so I don't think they'd dis-own me or anything. But after I came out as a lesbian they said they felt like bad parents because they didn't know :/ I don't want to upset them even more, not about me but about their own parental gaydar.

I'm really worried that they'll try to call me by my new name but still call me their daughter really. I don't know. It should be fine, but I'm panicking too much I think.