1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure how to tell the people in my life

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BaneOfSauron, Mar 8, 2013.

1. BaneOfSauron

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I've known that i'm a lesbian for i'd say at least the past two years now, and lately I've wondered if life would be easier if i just told someone in my life. every time I've tried I've lost the nerve and changed the topic at the last second. I had an interesting thought while playing Zelda the other day, it went something along the lines of: "you're a 'in the closet' anti-social lesbian gaming major...good luck with that". I'm not sure if i'm afraid of how the people around me will react or if I'm more worried about how i'll react, but I can never get the words to come out on paper or though my mouth. I'm not quite sure how to go about this, but I am sure that I'd like to get this over with sooner than later.....well maybe not to my family. Any advice as for how to go about telling my friends? They constantly joke around about "what if she WAS a lesbian" and I'm feeling kind of done lately.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't get any bigger opening than "What if she WAS a lesbian?", even if it isn't said about you. If it IS said about you, you can just say "well, I'd probably be exactly as I am now, since I am." If it's about somebody else, you can simply say "If she were, I'd ask her out" or "I don't know if I'd ask her out."

Lex

3. BornInTexas

^ What Lex said.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Lex said too, but at the moment you are about to say it, don't expect the fear and awkwardness to disappear. What you can do, however, is mentally acknowledge the existence of the fear, then set it aside because this is an important thing to do.

This has worked for me, not only with fear but with fatigue, boredom and all those other crappy things that one needs to tend to in life.

5. BaneOfSauron

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    thanks, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.