1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to extended family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Naomilly92, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Naomilly92

I'm so scared, and I'm not sure why I'm even considering this...

Basically, two years ago I came out to my mother's side of my family, and got really good support from it, which I'm really grateful for. However, when I came out to my dad, a month earlier, I got the worst reply I have ever had, the whole "what's wrong with you, I'm going to get you help" typical speeches. Then last year, while I was babysitting my little (half) brother (on my dad's side) I heard him say that being gay was wrong and people who are gay should be punched.

Now, I'm currently getting quite close to my cousin (also dad's side), and even though she probably already knows, via Facebook, I need to tell her I'm gay, if she's gonna be a big part of my life, she needs to know, because currently, there's either a big elephant in the room when we're together, or I'm lying to her about who we are, only I'm now bricking it, because of the reaction I got from my dad, and I don't know how to begin telling her the truth

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're spending time with her alone, you can simply frame it in reference to the responses that you've already gotten. If you're talking family, bring it up. "I was really happy with everybody's response on my mom's side when I came out, but I've run into some problems with dad's side."

Lex