1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought I was gay but I'm bisexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by forgetregret8, Mar 9, 2013.

1. forgetregret8

I came out as gay to a few of my close friends as well as my sister and my mom. Out of these people, I think my mom is the only one that won't judge me and be extremely confused if I were to tell her "Just kidding! I'm bisexual!"
    Although my close friends really are my close friends, they are all extremely proactive for gay rights and things and they're going to wonder why I came out as gay and how I realized I was bisexual and things like that... I'm not sure what to do...
    I don't really want them to be questioning things, I really do want them to believe me! I came out before I was really, completely sure and I think my mom kind of knew that but my close friends I had to come out to via Internet because they live across the country from me so they didn't see any of my body language... should I come out again individually with each of them on skype or something?

I think for a while I thought i would rather be straight or gay but bisexuality was the worst because it was the most misunderstood out of the three of those things and it took me a while to get here. What do I do?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally told some friends that I was Gay, then I had some feelings of regret, I knew I could not get back into the closet, so I then told my friends I had changed my mind I was now Bi-sexual, I think in my mind, being Bi was sort of saying, I am Straight but, I do have an attraction for Men, I saw it as a safe option, but then I started to struggle with my conscience & I laid my cards on the table with myself & on 12/02/13 I finally came out to myself that I was Gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

What makes you think that you might be Bi? :slight_smile:

3. forgetregret8

I went with the gay idea for a while, assuming that this attraction that I had towards guys was really just denial, but I really cannot stop it, and I'm not really sure why I have to.
    I think the reason I came out as gay was because I never really saw bisexuality as an option, consciously knowing that I did have some biphobia, and I think I still do, but I recently met a guy that I really like. He's not at all like the guys I had dated before I thought that I must be gay. Those guys it felt like I was kissing a brick wall, but this guy I genuinely like...

Maybe I'm just really confused?

4. BudderMC

This is how I see it, based on how my thought process works.

You could be bisexual. You could be in denial. But the common theme is you know you like girls to some extent, right?

With your family, since they are accepting and could see you might have been nervous, I think it's perfectly fine to go back to them and say "honestly, I'm a little bit confused still; I know I like girls but I'm not sure if I like guys". To me coming out is about being honest, and that's even easier when you can anticipate no bad reaction.

As for your friends, if they're close to you perhaps they'd react in the same way. If you feel it's important enough to correct yourself, you could make a point of telling them. Maybe you could just bring it up next time in conversation?

Try not to worry too much. I know you might be feeling silly right now, but this certainly isn't the worst thing anyone's ever done. :slight_smile:

5. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first came out to my two friends I said that I was bisexual because it was a safe middle for me. Then, I mustered up the courage to say that I'm gay, which I then took back and said I was bisexual again. I stopped being friends with on of those people a few weeks ago so she thinks I'm bisexual. I come out to my other friend as gay and he completely understood why I was "changing my mind" a lot. I was in the same boat as you kinda: I came out too early. It worked out just fine for me, and now I'm out to three close friends! Good luck with telling people and I'm sure they'll understand.
    I also come out to all of them (except for one) by FB inboxing and it was just fine.